Big Brother revealed as

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that mentioned somewhere the other day. I like the irony that one of the books involved was 1984.

I'm behind the times.

My wife wants one of these, and I honestly had never heard of one of these until like 2 days ago.

My sister has an older one and loves it. I'm old school; I like holding on to a book and reading off paper.

My neice is legally blind and the Kindle is a blessing for her, since she can change the font size.

Last edited by a moderator:
For reading books, I like the old fashioned paper. No batteries to fail etc.

The only interest I have in a Kindle is aviation related. There is a company offering instrument approach plates for free download onto the Kindle. It would save me a bunch of space/weight/money if I didn't have to pack along paper charts. I'm not convinced I trust the batteries not to fail in the clouds.

^They look sweet, I just can't justify the cost right now.
Yeah, my wife asked me the other day...

"hey, are there any holidays coming up where you are going to buy me anything? like before Christmas?"...

To that I said. I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

She wants one real bad and her request went something like this:

"They ONLY cost $400 and books are then ONLY $10 a piece, when I buy a book ever month or so for $20 or $25... "

Let me see, It would pay off for itself in > 2 yrs.

Only benefit I can actually see for me is that it could make it easier for me to go to sleep, she leaves her light on to read and sometimes I roll over (half awake and wondering what time it is) at 4AM in the morning with the lights on and her snoring.

Wonder if there will ever be any future lawsuits about poor eye sight with kindles?

steve_martin_opti_grab.jpg

I like the idea a lot. I'm just waiting for a couple more versions to come out before jumping in.

I would like a color screen down the road, but the free service anywhere is a major plus.

Only benefit I can actually see for me is that it could make it easier for me to go to sleep, she leaves her light on to read and sometimes I roll over (half awake and wondering what time it is) at 4AM in the morning with the lights on and her snoring.
Well, your only benefit just died on the table. The Kindle isn't back lit, so that light will remain on.

I have a second generation Kindle, and I love it.

The biggest feature for me is the ability to resize the text. My eyes dont get tired from long reading sessions like they used to. (Its not a zooming function that causes loss of resolution of the text.)

Its also very cool to be able to look up words on the spot that you may not be familiar with.

For reading books, I like the old fashioned paper. No batteries to fail etc.
The only interest I have in a Kindle is aviation related. There is a company offering instrument approach plates for free download onto the Kindle. It would save me a bunch of space/weight/money if I didn't have to pack along paper charts. I'm not convinced I trust the batteries not to fail in the clouds.
I think the batteries are not used while the image is displayed on the screen, only while changing the image.

I think the batteries are not used while the image is displayed on the screen, only while changing the image.
Looks like it still requires batteries, but VERY low battery consumption with their screens. They give up color and backlight to gain this benefit:

e-ink in Kindle screens

EDIT - Paul, And then of course, I read something that confirms what you say - in that it takes no batteries to maintain a static image. You're right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back