Google Chrome OS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING
Reaction score
Google introduces Chrome OS

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010. Because we're already talking to partners about the project, and we'll soon be working with the open source community, we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.
This is going to chap Microsoft's ass.

Awesome.

I think I'll hold off for a Chrome-equipped netbook.

My first thought when i heard this while driving to work today was "I bet Googles stock jumps 10% today"

I guess everyone else isn't as excited about this as me lol.

we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.
What is that exactly? I thought Google Chrome was a web browser that Google made to compete with Internet Explorer... with added functionality to aid in search / integration of Google tools into the browser...

This is a whole new step. It'll be interesting to see if it takes off and if hackers leave it alone.

I have to disagree with the excitement, for now at least. Too much unknowns at this point, such as can we download it or will it only come with new hardware, google docs sucks so what else can we use, imho chrome sucks, all this cloud stuff?

But Open Source and Linux, now they rock.

we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.
To make more money?

I've got XP at work which is fine and I'm used to it, and Leopard at home which is fine too. I'm in no rush to pay money just to get the shiny new OS.

I don't know - I like the idea of a lightweight operating system. Sounds perfect for netbooks - I may install it on mine, if the reviews are positive.

I don't know - I like the idea of a lightweight operating system. Sounds perfect for netbooks - I may install it on mine, if the reviews are positive.

These already exist for netbooks. Give Ubuntu Netbook a try, or EEEbuntu, or EasyPeasy.

I hope that this Chrome OS does take off and actually pushes Linux (which apparently Chrome OS is built on) and opensource to where they should be and kick MS out!

I think Chrome OS will do better than the various linux distros because it will have the Google name behind it. Plus, Linux carries a stigma of being hard to use for the non-geek that I assume Chrome won't have.

Google chrome still has some ways to go as far as frame data drop off menu is concerned. I cant properly use TBPE website because the menus wont come off properly. Same issues with many other websites. So, for those i use firefox.

Google is getting everyone's private info for free because of all the free softwares it offers. Be it picasaweb or google docs or gmail. All of these are residing on google servers. Look at gmail and the ads change depending upon the email you are reading. Pretty soon, we will get solicitations in mail because of what we searched on the internet.

I think Chrome OS will do better than the various linux distros because it will have the Google name behind it. Plus, Linux carries a stigma of being hard to use for the non-geek that I assume Chrome won't have.
I hope it does, and that will help the rest of linux.

Pretty soon, we will get solicitations in mail because of what we searched on the internet.
That explains the invitation to join the elephant-on-blonde of the month club I just got in the mail....

Check out feather and puppy linux if you want a true lightweight distro, both are design to be run from a pendrive and will run entirely from RAM.

Back