1999 vs 2009

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I was shredding some documents last night, most of which were old bills. It was interesting to compare fees from ten years ago to what they are now.

Electricity is 53% more expensive per kW-hr) than in 1999.

Natural gas is 50% more expensive (per unit) than 1999.

Cable is 61% more expensive than 1999.

Gas is 130% more expensive than 1999.

That is crazy. I am sure the median income did not increase that much.
I remember 1999 as I recall all the Oil companies were screaming because prices where so low. Which effected all energy prices.

Cable has been able to boost their prices by offering Internet and Digital Packages as well.

That is crazy. I am sure the median income did not increase that much.
Sadly my income is only up about 10% since 99. That's not adjusted for inflation, either.

As for phone and internet, I don't have those thru TWC, just basic cable. But since it was bought up:

ISP (same one since 99!) is up 10% since 1999.

I remember wishing I had a car on campus cuz gas was floating around 99 cents a gallon, in 1999.

I remember how pissed off I was when gas peaked over $1/gallon during my first summer internship. I was like "this is going to eat up all of my profit from the summer!" I guess I would have been happy to pay that much if I knew what was coming.

I remember how pissed off I was when gas peaked over $1/gallon during my first summer internship. I was like "this is going to eat up all of my profit from the summer!" I guess I would have been happy to pay that much if I knew what was coming.
My first job was $37.2k. Now, I'm working part-time and making $35/hr. If I were to be working full time, that's almost double. However, I don't think it's a fair comparison since most of us were entry-level, if not still in college, in 1999.

My salary has increased an infinite amount since 1999 because I was a freshman in college playing football, so no job for me.

My salary has increased an infinite amount since 1999 because I was a freshman in college playing football, so no job for me.
I was in college too, living on the GI Bill/Army College Fund/Grants and Loans. So my income has increased about 550%. :multiplespotting:

^The number of people that can model stormwater has remained at 1.

This time 10 years ago, it was the summer after my freshman year of college. I worked evenings in an office doing clerical/technician work for $8/hour. Saved up like $2,200 and spent it on a computer for myself, which was about the going rate at the time to get something that wouldn't be completely obsolete in 6 months.

I remember liking the 99 cent gas as my commute was about 42 miles one way to school at the time.

Cap'n did you happen to notice anything that stayed about the same, or decreased?
Well, I don't have a car payment now, and in was $248.91 a month back then.

House insurance is about the same despite pretty large increase in value.

Which reminds me...

Property tax on the house is 75% more than 1999

Beer is more expensive: :angry:

Consumer Price Index data show beer, ales and other malt liquors cost 30% more in January than they did a decade ago, basically matching the overall inflation rate
But relative to inflation, the price remains the same: :)

:beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
around spring of '99 we had the conversation in intro to business class about the skyrocketing price of gas (around $1.20/gal). people were pretty upset at the huge increase from $.89 we had paid just a few months before.

My how things change!!!

Magazine subscritions are either much cheaper or about the same. The car mags are about the same. Newsweek went from 41.91 in 1999 to 10.00 in 2008.

I was shredding some documents last night, most of which were old bills. It was interesting to compare fees from ten years ago to what they are now.
Electricity is 53% more expensive per kW-hr) than in 1999.

Natural gas is 50% more expensive (per unit) than 1999.

Cable is 61% more expensive than 1999.

Gas is 130% more expensive than 1999.
2010 prices may increase that amount over 2009 prices if government has its way... :rtft:

Computers cost less now. Home theater electronics cost about the same and are significantly more advanced.

Ummm... I ordered AutCAD LT in 1998 for my office, and I see the price of 2010 LT is roughly the same.....

But aside from that, I can tell you that 1999 KICKED ASS for me - I quite literally partied like it was 1999.... all year. MOstly good memories, but a few real embarassing ones that people like bring up now and then, like "hairy armpit girl...." <shudder>

Back