Nightmares about Engineering?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparksFlyingPE

mmm! beeeeer!
Reaction score
I'll start off with mine - it's kinda lame but will get the ball rolling...

In my latest work nightmare, I've designed/put out construction dwgs/approved submittals/did the punch walk for an electrical project including metal halide lighting for a new trendy restaurant (WTF??). I'm there for the "grand opening" for some reason, and the dining room is dark - all the metal halide fixtures are failing. Somehow dimming ballasts (old-school type) got installed and the whole lighting system is going wacko, and all the diners start getting pissed off and yelling at me, while I'm frantically sliding dimmer switches and poking at buttons on a lighting control panel....

Side note: Of course, we all have the bad dreams about taking exams in our underwear, so skip those....

Wow ... a quite timely thread ....

Just last night I had a dream I was going to Civil Engineer Corps Officer School (CECOS) in Port Hueneme, except that I wasn't in the service anymore (time set to present day). It was quite odd because the dream blended elements of my life when I was enlisted with elements of my life in the present. In the dream I was doing fine with the schooling aspects of engineer school ... not so well with the aspects of being 'in the service'.

I woke-up without a logical conclusion to the dream ... so I am still scratching my head.

JR

Last edited:
I would like to hear about Fudgey's bad engineering dreams. Maybe something in the wastewater department?

I still have work related dreams about my first job. The plant has been closed down for several years now and I haven't worked there for 10 yrs. I have had 2 dreams about that place in the past week.

It's weird that some of you dream about work as well. I thought it was just me.

Although they have calmed down and I rarely do it anymore, I used to frequently dream about college classes. The worst one was being at the end of a quarter/semester and reallizing you had forgotten to go to a class the entire time! You are about to take the final and you haven't done anything!!!!

It took quite a while to get rid of that one.

I still have dreams related to my first engineering job in the offshore oilfield - recurring dreams about really HUGE waves passing underneath the platform, rising to the point of hitting the living quarters etc. I'm sure there's something Freudian going on there, but I;m not sure what.

I have this nightmare, that I get up every day and go to work as an engineer.

Oh wait...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only had two.

One was a pressure problem, more specifically a lack of pressure problem. Rechecking the calculations found no errors and two other experienced people after looking over them told me I was crazy and to get back to work.

The second was a legit mistake, basically a dunderheaded move that while not fatal would certainly sap any profit and possible drive the job into the black. Swallowing any pride I called a meeting and explained what was going on and how to fix it. Surprisingly not a soul was angry about it and business went on.

I cant seem to ever get work out of my brain so I have dreams all the time about work, its very fucked up....

I get this recurring dream that due to some scheduling glitch, there was some like upper division chem class or something I had no idea I was registered for, yet I have to go in and pass the final or else I won't graduate.

That and I had a messed up dream about an ear exam this weekend.

Every so often I dream that I have to take an exam for a class I only went to the first day. I can't remeber where the class was, so the dream is me walking around looking for a familiar classromm/instructor/classmates. The funny thing is I'm never really anxious about it. More of an inconvenience than anything else.

Lucky me. i don't dream about work.
Ditto. More of my Nightmares have more to do with people I know and bad things happening to them, not work.

Usually, if I have work issues, I don't sleep well - so I guess that's why I don't dream.

Or I grit my teeth when I'm stressed and my wife knees me in the back to make me stop.

Just last night I had a dream I was going to Civil Engineer Corps Officer School (CECOS) in Port Hueneme, except that I wasn't in the service anymore (time set to present day). It was quite odd because the dream blended elements of my life when I was enlisted with elements of my life in the present. In the dream I was doing fine with the schooling aspects of engineer school ... not so well with the aspects of being 'in the service'.
I woke-up without a logical conclusion to the dream ... so I am still scratching my head.
Dleg envy?

Not so much a nightmare, but every so often I'm looking something over in the CERM realizing "oh crap, i didn't really understand this section... Hopefully it didn't hurt me on the test..."

Then i remember i've already passed...

Good Times.. :)

Basically what everyone else here has said. I have the one where I'm still in school and failing a course that will keep me from graduating.

I also have a dream about a former job I held for 11 months. I absolutely hated it, and leaving was a bad situation. Anyway, no, about every two months, I have a dream where it's my first day BACK with that company. I'm always like "what have I done, why did I leave my current job?". I left that company 2 years ago this week.

I've never had a nightmare about work. Seems strange though I figure I would. I like my job alot so I guess thats why. I do have sleepparalysis which means I have some wicked nightmares. Talk about crazy **** I have seen. Since I got married I have gotten them less often. I used to get about 5-6 episodes a year and now I'm down to about 2-3. I guess my wife sleeping next to me has a calming affect.

Sleep Paralysis

I used to have that sleep paralysis. There was one dream that I just knew I was possessed by the Devil (ala The Exorcist.)

I always have the dream about going to a final that I missed all the classes during the semester.

In almost all my episodes there is some dark figure/demon/phantam that is standing or crouching in the corner just stairing at me. Sometimes I see "them" next to the bed watching me sleep. It's so hard to convince yourself they are not real since you have your eyes open and are seeing them in front of you. Its a complete melding of dream and reality where you can't tell which is which.

Back