Bugatti Railcars

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing that the braking was noted as excellent while his cars were notorious for bad brakes. I guess a different standard applies in the rail world.

At sixty-five mph it could stop within 3 football fields? That must be good for trains. :p

Also bear in mind that this was a fan-zine blatantly slanted in favor of the marque.

I think they are saying it would coast that far. pretty remarkable stuff. now that would be a collector's item!

It coasted eleven miles. Check out the third sentence in the second paragraph.

500 horsepower! Yee haw!

I asked my Dad about his. This is his reply. I thought it was humorous. :)

A type 37 if memory serves, 1500cc straight eight, single overhead cam. Basically a type 35 with a different crankshaft. Full Grand Prix. Clutch was either in or it was out. No in between. Brakes always came on one, two, three, four. Steering was 3/4 turn lock to lock ! To change lanes, one simply *thought about* changing lanes.To start: Driver in car. Helper flings up right side of hood. Driver pumps up the gas tank ( pressure feed, air pump runs off camshaft once started.) Driver opens valve to start gas flow to carb. Helper holds hands over carb throats to choke. Engage starter. When it starts, helper runs around back end of car, flings open left side hood, vents waterpump with little stopcock . If no water vented, shut down, try all again. If vent vents water, give waterpump lubricating tube a whack. Ready to rock and roll.

The brakes were mechanically activated, so his description of them would be dead on.

Loved the starting procedure.

Back in the day, starting a car was Seriouz Bidness. Apparently. Hee!

That is some kind of steering eh? Don't sneeze or you'll be in the ditch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back