How does EB.com make money?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
There is only one advertising spot (thank God), you dont send any annoying emails and you dont charge a fee for membership. How does this place make money? Is somebody doing this for fun or am i missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
there are two ad spots, one at the top and one at the bottom. You can also become a supporting member. Under My controls on the left side there is info on how to make a donation to the cause.

I don't think this site was set up to make money. But you can make a donation, like snickerd said, to help with the costs.

Frazil is right, this site isn't about making money - it is about a community of engineers who came together to put something together as an alternative to other engineering exam preparation sites. As you can see by the membership stats - this forum is nearly at 5,000 members but I would say less than 1% of that membership is active for all practical purposes and intents.

The admins are always looking for new and innovative ways to help exam takers, so feel free to offer up ideas! :D

JR

i guess i should rephrase the question: Is there a lonely engineer out there somewhere maintaining and paying to keep this site active or has someone found a way to hijack someones server secretly to keep it free?

Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is someone paying to maintain it to keep it free to all. supporting member fee help defray the costs.

I guess I am the lonely engineer... :)

The ads just about cover the server cost, the help from our gracious supporting members goes along way too!

But there really isnt any making money, more than maybe a couple of bucks over what the server space, bandwith, and domain name charges are..

On Busy months when we get the exam results back the ads do well, then I get an extra invoice from Invision for extra bandwith, I am happy it balances out to be honest.

Its a group effort and folks like DV doing the banner are a tremendous help to making it fun.

That, and the EB.com ladies calendar. Mary's high school portrait on the cover, and TX's Rocky Horror pic from January through December!

That, and the EB.com ladies calendar. Mary's high school portrait on the cover, and TX's Rocky Horror pic from January through December!
Holy ****! did you actually have that made into a calendar? That's just wrong!!! :)

Day n night

The lonely engineer seems to free his mind at night

He’s all alone; some things will never change

The lonely engineer seems to free his mind at night; at-at-at night

Holy ****! did you actually have that made into a calendar? That's just wrong!!! :)
I take it you didn't read the fine print.

"All images provided for this challenge become property of EB.com. Images may be used at the board's discretion for any purpose without consent or notification of the image's subject. If you do not agree to these terms, please refrain from submitting a photo of yourself in fishnet's and leather. Thanks for your interest."

Oh, I don't really care what is done w/ that picture... I just don't think it is good enough to be calendar-worthy!

Back