Did anyone pass who really thought they Failed?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worried46

Reaction score
I don't have results yet but I did guess at 40% of the questions. You know "educated" guesses. Just wanted to know if anyone REALLY thought they failed but passed.

Come on make me feel better!!!!!!

I don't have results yet but I did guess at 40% of the questions. You know "educated" guesses. Just wanted to know if anyone REALLY thought they failed but passed.
Thats how I felt the first time. This time I felt I guessed very minimally - like maybe 2 - 5 on the front and none on the back side.

I passed and it is not as if I thought I would fail but I thought I could be borderline, I got stuck on a question in the morning session that I spent way too much time on and by result I rushed through 8-10 questions that I answered on first impulse because I was about out of time.

The afternoon session (civil/construction) I felt a lot better about because I answered everything slow and methodically and had 45 minutes to spare.

This is my first time through (civil) and I fee like I guessed at 7 total on the test. Sorry I know that doesn't help but we should both find out soon enough.

In October 08 I thought I passed.... and I failed... totally not the same :bawling:

Most of the people I work with didn't feel good at all when they left the exam, and they all passed. I felt really good when I left, so they're all confident in me. I'm less sure, and the longer I wait the more pessimistic I become...

After the test I felt like i had a pretty good shot at passing, but the longer it takes to get results (and i'm in NY so it's going to be a long while yet) the less confient i feel.

When I finally passed, I was suprised - I thought that I had failed once again. I think though, that by the time you get through the exam you are so mentally wasted that you really don't have a handle of your true performance. So try not to think about it - your exam has already been reviewed, and it is what it is.

Regardless - Good Luck! I hope you can post one of these later this month - :party-smiley-048:

When I finally passed, I was suprised - I thought that I had failed once again. I think though, that by the time you get through the exam you are so mentally wasted that you really don't have a handle of your true performance. So try not to think about it - your exam has already been reviewed, and it is what it is.
Regardless - Good Luck! I hope you can post one of these later this month - :party-smiley-048:
Thanks. I do truly believe that wether I pass or fail I will be OKAY!!

I worked thru the morning methodically and answered each question save 3 or so I guessed on but the afternoon was tougher, so I definitely felt I was borderline.

I wouldn't have been surprised if I failed, because how many times did you work problems and where positive you had the right answer then when you check you were wrong. It happens.

I am glad for the early results from Washington though.

I felt the same way D. Kephart. I felt absolutely confident in the morning and then the afternoon was a kick in the pants. I'll definately have to study the in depth portions more if I need to retake the test. Unfortunately, Texas doesn't have the results back.

I worked thru the morning methodically and answered each question save 3 or so I guessed on but the afternoon was tougher, so I definitely felt I was borderline.
I wouldn't have been surprised if I failed, because how many times did you work problems and where positive you had the right answer then when you check you were wrong. It happens.

I am glad for the early results from Washington though.
Which breadth and depth portion of the test did you take?

Plus you are tired in the afternoon so your brain just isn't working as quickly. In the morning I finished in 3 hours so I could go back and fix some problems, but I barely finished the afternoon on time.

If I had to do it over, I would have studied the depth stuff more, and then "cherry picked" in the afternoon. I felt like the last 10 problems were actually quite easy, but I was whipped by then.

Good luck to you, Worried. I hope for the best!

I thought I had redefined the meaning of FAIL after I left the test, but somehow I made the cut score and passed. I had even had my application ready to send to the board as soon as the results came in. I would be lying if I didn't say it felt good tearing up those few pieces of paper and voiding out my check!

I thought I had redefined the meaning of FAIL after I left the test, but somehow I made the cut score and passed. I had even had my application ready to send to the board as soon as the results came in. I would be lying if I didn't say it felt good tearing up those few pieces of paper and voiding out my check!
Thanks! I'm a little less worried. NOT

I just found out I passed. In all honesty I thought it was borderline but leaning more to failing. In the morning i had to guess on 3 with educated guesses on 7. In the afternoon I had to guess on 5 with educated guesses on 7.

hope this helps.

By the way, having studied with a friend who was taking it for his second time he did tell me that he felt he was a better engineer having studied for it twice.

I just found out I passed. In all honesty I thought it was borderline but leaning more to failing. In the morning i had to guess on 3 with educated guesses on 7. In the afternoon I had to guess on 5 with educated guesses on 7.
hope this helps.

By the way, having studied with a friend who was taking it for his second time he did tell me that he felt he was a better engineer having studied for it twice.
Congratulations BigGriff!

Oh yeah, I can only imagine how good that would have felt. I was really dreading having to reapply glad I never had to.

All I did was leave work early on Friday, and proceeded to get quite liquored up at a show me and my Girlfriend went to.

I knew I would post here if I passed. I was completely 50-50 on whether I passed or not. And I generally ace tests. So this was an unusual feeling and it gave me some real dread. So, I fit in that category. I thought I had solved my 70% of the problems and probably guessed at the rest. But I have literally added 1+0 wrong on a test before. So you assume you made stupid mistakes. Ok, that's all my rambling. I thought I had failed (I didn't tell people the results were going up in case I failed and then I would have a couple of days to fortify myself) and I passed.

Have hope!!

Back