Return of the 5.0

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks pretty cool. I like the supercharged 5.4 liter idea but that is likely a pipe dream.

'Bout time Furd brought the 5.0. The modulars truly are a waste. They're so much larger than GM's small blocks, heavier, more complicated, and simply can't put the power out without a blower. BTW, doesn't the sideview of that mustang look like a new Camaro?

The modular is hardly a waste. Ok, the cast iron 2 valve pigs are a waste.

When spec'd with the aluminum block and heads with the 4 valve DOHC it puts out a respectable 300+ HP and still has decent fuel mileage.

So will this new five point slow have overhead cams? I don't see Ford dredging the ancient pushrod from the jurassic period in today's market.

5.0 >> 4.6.

Personally, I'd rather have a smaller, lighter, GM 6.0 that's less expensive with both more torque and hp. So Ford has a 300 hp 4.6. GM has a 300 hp 3.6 V6. In that regard, the 4.6 doesn't appear to be a show-stopper. Add a blower, yes, it's noteworthy. Without... meh.

The '10 Mustangs look a lot better in person than they do in the photos.

From the front, yes. The back is still horrendous.

And not that it matters, but look for Ford to start kicking ass in NHRA Pro Stock before long.

GM and Mopar have both discontinued their funding for their racing development program. Ford has just come out with their new Pro Stock block and heads, the new Mustang Pro Stock body is coming out better than the GTO and Cobalts in wind tunnel testing, and Ford is continuing to support their program.

So all the Pro Stock Pontiac guys are going to have to change bodies, and have no more support for the DRCE stuff. The Mopar guys are already behind and might not have the Stratus bodies for much longer, which are already at an aero disadvantage. Both GM and Mopar guys are going to be stuck with existing castings/part numbers for the foreseeable future.

Back