On-the-job Engrish

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
I am reviewing an operator's manual for a new package wastewater treatment plant, manufactured in Japan, and translated to engrish by a local translation company. It has got some crazy stuff in it.

Some samples:

"Flow balancing tank at Blois Denitrification Tank cum bath"
:puke:

"This screen has about penal large trash removal"
Where's PE-ness? maybe he can translate this for me... :wanker:

Operation of emission control valve operation control and the treated water is the second sentence of penal blowers ...
OK, now I'm beginning to get interested in this machine....

"The operation of the treat water discharge pump without aeration causes obturation and strong precautions must be taken."
So I guess obturation = bad. I had to look this up in my engrish dictionary. For being so poor at english, these guys sure have a sophisticated vocabulary.

And finally, what treatment plan is complete, without a "Frow Meter" from Nippon Flow Cell Co., Ltd (how can they get it right in their company name, but wrong on the product?)

That's all I have time for. I sure hope no one who doesn't speak Japanese is ever in charge of this plant.

ha ha! That's hilarious! ...unless you really need to understand it.

engrish-funny-crap-hands.jpg

^Those are hirarious!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I had a stenographer for all of my conversations with the folks at Hitachi. It was more Enpanese than Engrish.

I took a wastewater class in college and don't recall anything about a cum bath.

Hey! We have a hand grenade in our office!

my brother just sent me this picture from his trip to Thailand

picture1jhg.jpg

Yum, I love white jew's ear mushroom salad, but is it kosher?

I also wonder about the winged bean salad, what are the wings from?

one of my engineering profs spoke engrish. Lectures were always fun.

The two that I remember the most:

arfa for alpha

packerd bell reactor, when were all like when did packerd bell start making reactors he was trying to say packed bed reactor

Good call...we also have hand grenades at home. I think insurance might be pissed if we use a hand grenade to answer to a house fire. I can hear my agent now- "Should have just let it burn."

Back