Seen at a Car Show

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyer_PE

Jr. PE / Sr. Company Pilot
Reaction score
I spotted this "Trans Am" at a car show last weekend. Any other F-body fans out there see a few inconsistencies with the way this one probably left the factory?

The most obvious is the combination T/A shaker and Formula scoops.

next is the late model rear clip ('79-81) tailights and wrap around rear glass (1st appeared in '76) combined with the early 70's nose ('71 to '73). It also appears that he grafted a late model spoiler ('79+) onto the older nose.

Most likely a late model car with an early nose installed. Overall not a bad looking car.

FWIW: Ponch's firebird on CHiPs had the dual scoop thing, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most obvious is the combination T/A shaker and Formula scoops.
next is the late model rear clip ('79-81 tailights and wrap around rear glass (1st appeared in '76) cobined with the early 70's nose ('71 to '73). It also appeasr that he grafted a late model spoiler ('79+) onto the older nose.

Most likely a late model car with an early nose installed. Overall not a bad looking car.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Also factor in the late model T-Tops, and the fact that the dash, steering wheel, rear view mirror, and door mirrors are also late 2nd gen. He also lowered the car slightly in front.

I've seen quite a few later models with the 70-73 nose. This was the first one I've seen where somebody felt the need to have both the scoops and the shaker.

Yeah, and that always threw me, but the property managers on that show also liked placing scoops on cars backwards. I seem to remember a 69 Mustang with a 'tunnel ram' style scoop on backwards. I believe the same car appeared in Cannonball with the late Mr carradine (but not driven by him).

Every so often you can see a 70 1/2-73 sneaking into a Rockford Files Episode.

and of course the graphics are all wrong. It looks like he took an early style T/A stripe and narrowed it to fit between the formula scoops. the original design completely surrounded the shaker, so the shaker was one color and not striped down the middle.

Supe, FWIW, I'm not sure how you can spot the differences in the dash and steering wheel from these pictures. I believe that the engine turned dash was always in the second gen T/A's with the only mod being the shape of the turn indicators (arrows versus round) and the steering wheel was pretty much the same except that the earlier ones had a thicker rim.

Supe, FWIW, I'm not sure how you can spot the differences in the dash and steering wheel from these pictures. I believe that the engine turned dash was always in the second gen T/A's with the only mod being the shape of the turn indicators (arrows versus round) and the steering wheel was pretty much the same except that the earlier ones had a thicker rim.

You're right. I forgot that the early second gens got away from the "tunnel" style black plastic dash and the skinny three spoke wheels. That was still first gen.

You're right. I forgot that the early second gens got away from the "tunnel" style black plastic dash and the skinny three spoke wheels. That was still first gen.
I'm glad y'all explained that. I was looking at it going,"Looks like 2nd gen Firebird to me..."

One thing I forgot to mention is that the car show had a DJ. Not 5 minutes after I took those pictures, I heard Johnny Cash singing 'One Piece at a Time'. Seemed pretty funny at the time.

I have to admit that I like it. I'd have made the stripe more like the early 2nd gen stripe, and maybe not have gone with a T-top car.

that thing is a *******, plain and simple.
maybe, but it's pretty nicely done and probably saved at least one T/A from the crusher.

I have to admit that I like it. I'd have made the stripe more like the early 2nd gen stripe, and maybe not have gone with a T-top car.
I'd have passed on the stripe altogether. If the car is for a driver/cruising then T-tops are a definite plus.

JMHO

I never liked T-tops. Leaky and reduced structural integrity.

Plus, I'm not a 'top down' kind of person. To each his own, though.

I never liked T-tops. Leaky and reduced structural integrity.
Plus, I'm not a 'top down' kind of person. To each his own, though.

I like the sensation of a cool breeze billowing through my hair (what's left of it), and I like when she puts the top down! ;)

Back