Palau to take Chines GITMO detainees

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't. The ones they are getting are the wondering Chinese nomads that nobody wants, including the chinese. They will get a sweet deal for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

IT's also the one place in the world where you can come and go from the US without a passport!!!

I feel SO MUCH safer now!

Did I know about this? Well, let's just say "what the heck was I doing in Palau three weeks ago....." :ph34r:

Nah, just kidding. I knew nothing about this. I know a lot of Palauans, including my father in law, who are not too excited about it though. But it's typical for Palau - their government makes all kinds of deals in exchange for financial support, as do most other small island nations. They recognized the sovereignty of Taiwan, for example, and in exchange the Taiwanese built them a huge new capitol building.

Babeldaob%2043%20-%20capitol.jpg

They voted on Japan's side to allow whaling to continue, and got this nice new bridge:

Koror%20bridge.jpg

So I am not surprised they would consider taking the Uighurs, or whatever they are called. From what I understand, they are no threat to anyone but the Chinese government, and Palau has already alienated China by recognizing Taiwan....

But from what I hear, the Palauans themselves are not too happy about the idea.

So if the Paulans accept the detainees, the States will build them a shiny new prison?

It seems they are savvy enough to barter for what they need, I like these people.

So if the Paulans accept the detainees, the States will build them a shiny new prison?
It seems they are savvy enough to barter for what they need, I like these people.
Not for the Uighurs. They will get beach front McMansions!!! The Uighurs were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and hated by China since they are free living Nomads rather than settled in with rules, taxation, and opression. They were not part of the war.

Back