Fat Tire

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucktown PE

Reaction score
So I didn't understand what all the hoopla was about. Some of my buddies from Colorado have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of Fat Tire beer in Georgia and South Carolina for months now. So I go to the grocery store last night and they had 22 oz bottles and people were buying it by the case. So I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about. Holy **** that's a good beer. A little pricey at $3.29 for a 22 oz bottle but tasty nonetheless. My youngest brother graduates from high school tomorrow night so I'm going to buy some bottles to celebrate.

Fat Tire and their line of products kick ass. I love Belgian style beers. The yeasty taste adds a unique complexity to the flavor. I had their seasonal Biere de Marz (sp?) when visiting the in laws one time that was most excellent. Basically a spring farmhouse beer.

I really love the beers from the Rockies and the Northwest. The western parts of Washington and Oregon are good hop growing areas.

Spanish Peaks pear cider, Pyramid apricot ale, Big Sky beer, Moose Juice stout, etc...all stuff I love I can't find here.

One of the first things I want to do when I get to AK is get a pint of Alaskan Smoked Porter, and the obligatory duck fart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Week from tomorrow. Starting in Anchorage then working my way to Fairbanks, Whitehorse, Juneau, and Glacier Bay by various a combo of air, land and sea.

Where are you at? Got any travel tips or recommendations?

Fat Tire and their line of products kick ass. I love Belgian style beers. The yeasty taste adds a unique complexity to the flavor. I had their seasonal Biere de Marz (sp?) when visiting the in laws one time that was most excellent. Basically a spring farmhouse beer.
I really love the beers from the Rockies and the Northwest. The western parts of Washington and Oregon are good hop growing areas.

Spanish Peaks pear cider, Pyramid apricot ale, Big Sky beer, Moose Juice stout, etc...all stuff I love I can't find here.

One of the first things I want to do when I get to AK is get a pint of Alaskan Smoked Porter, and the obligatory duck fart.
there was a brewery i went to in downtown anchorage that has bourbon octoberfest. they age the beer in old jd casks. that was the best beer ive ever had. when i went back they didnt have it anymore. it tasted like candy. and beer.

Week from tomorrow. Starting in Anchorage then working my way to Fairbanks, Whitehorse, Juneau, and Glacier Bay by various a combo of air, land and sea.
Where are you at? Got any travel tips or recommendations?
I'm up in Fairbanks. If you are driving up from ANC on the Parks Hwy stop by the Denali Park Salmon Bake. They have excellent food and a full line of Alaskan beers on tap. The salmon should be running in the rivers(south of the Alaska Range) if you like to fish. Do you have a Milepost? It is essential if you will be driving. This website is useful for checking road conditions http://511.alaska.gov/. When in Fairbanks I would recommend either the Riverboat Discovery or the Eldorado Gold Mine(if you are already going on one of these let me know). Dinning in Fairbanks, if you like Prime Rib check out the Turtle Club. Chena Hot Springs Resort is interesting because the owner has been expirementing with geothermal energy and has installed an impressive power plant.

there was a brewery i went to in downtown anchorage that has bourbon octoberfest. they age the beer in old jd casks. that was the best beer ive ever had. when i went back they didnt have it anymore. it tasted like candy. and beer.
Was it the Glacier Brewhouse? They rotate out various casks of beers.

So I didn't understand what all the hoopla was about. Some of my buddies from Colorado have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of Fat Tire beer in Georgia and South Carolina for months now. So I go to the grocery store last night and they had 22 oz bottles and people were buying it by the case. So I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about. Holy **** that's a good beer. A little pricey at $3.29 for a 22 oz bottle but tasty nonetheless. My youngest brother graduates from high school tomorrow night so I'm going to buy some bottles to celebrate.
I'll believe it when I see it in my local sto'. I know my sister just got it in Quincy, IL which is just barely across the Mississippi. It is one of my favorite beers, and I have always been pissed that I couldn't get it.

I am also pissed that they finally started distributing Shiner products to my area, but only brought over Bock and Hefe...Shiner Blond is one of my favorite beers and I still can't get it here.

I'll believe it when I see it in my local sto'. I know my sister just got it in Quincy, IL which is just barely across the Mississippi. It is one of my favorite beers, and I have always been pissed that I couldn't get it.
I am also pissed that they finally started distributing Shiner products to my area, but only brought over Bock and Hefe...Shiner Blond is one of my favorite beers and I still can't get it here.
If you like wheat beers, and they start distributing New Belgium products to you poor east coasters, try Sunshine Wheat. It is a great, clean wheat beer. If you are thusly inclined, an orange slice goes well with it. Great on a hot summer day, especially after yardwork.

I live about 1/4 mile east of the Mississippi river (as the crow flies) and we've had Fat Tire for long time. Yes, good, but still not better than Abita Strawberry Ale. :leghump:

If you like wheat beers, and they start distributing New Belgium products to you poor east coasters, try Sunshine Wheat. It is a great, clean wheat beer. If you are thusly inclined, an orange slice goes well with it. Great on a hot summer day, especially after yardwork.
We already have a good one on this side of the Mississip. Upland Wheat is brewed in Indiana, and it kicks ass.

I am very surprised that I can get Fat Tire out here. The owner of one gas station very close to my office likes good beer, and keeps Fat Tire, Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in stock in the convenience store part of the gas station. $18 for a sixpack, so it's not cheap, but it's worth it.

^Our only other options out here are Bud, bud Light, and Miller Light. So, yes - Sam Adams is "good" in that context.

I am very surprised that I can get Fat Tire out here. The owner of one gas station very close to my office likes good beer, and keeps Fat Tire, Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in stock in the convenience store part of the gas station. $18 for a sixpack, so it's not cheap, but it's worth it.
$18/6? That's in islander money right, kind of like pesos? Wow, that's steep.

But I will jump to the defense of Sam Adams as a "Not-Bad-and-Better-Than-Bud" American beer, which may not be a glowing review, but at least it's better than say Italian or Japanese beer. :beerchug:

I am now going to commit blasphemy and say I don't see what the big deal with Fat Tire is. My friends love it and I've had it a few times, both bottled and on tap when out west, and ... well, it's okay, but I'm a hop fan, not a malt fan and I just don't see what the big deal is.

Give me a Sierra any day. Or a Terrapin Rye. Mmmm. Or Sweetwater 420 or a Dogfish 90 Minute. Those I can get excited about. Second best beer ever is Oskar Blues Gordon Imperial Stout, with the winning trophy going to 5 Seasons "Hopgasm", only available locally.

^Our only other options out here are Bud, bud Light, and Miller Light. So, yes - Sam Adams is "good" in that context.
Sam Adams is good, if it is in a keg. But is suffers in a bottle. And this is comming from a verified "Pacific Northwest Hophead".

On that note, if you are a big time beer lover, and might be visiting Oregon/Washington here are my favorites.

In a bottle:

Ninkasi Tricerahops (8.8% abv!!!!)

Bridgeport IPA (bottle conditioned baby!)

In a keg:

Terminal Gravity IPA

Sierra Nevada IPA (So much better than in the bottle)

And for me this is like Christmas Morning: http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

Back