Anyone have any electrician exp?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06dustin

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of electrical experience (like, house electrical) but I'm not letting that stop me endanger myself and others. :construction:

Just bought a house... and I have a GFI circuit which doesn't work (GFCI doesn't trip). Circuit tester says "no neutral", I pull off the face-plate and sure enough I have ~60V on white-ground, ~120V black-ground.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a loose neutral to me... obviously it should read 0V neutral to ground. What do you read between hot and neutral? I would check the neutral connection for the receptacle circuit at the panel or junction box.

This thread should probably be under the "Electrical" category.

mods feel free to move? i just didn't feel like it was a real "electrical" issue, since it's not really engineering.

i'll check that tonight geofs, thanks.

I wouldn't say the thread needs to move. Like geofs said you should be 0V between white(neutral) - ground. and 120V black(hot) - ground and 120V black - white. If you don't have that coming in, then you're problem is before you get to the GFCI box.

Back