A Week in the Hole

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeb6294

Reaction score
Well, they sent me down for the week to one of the locks where they're doing some repair work to do a little cross training. They're replacing the bushings/pins on all of the valves. One of the jobs of the project engineer is to check the play in the ends of the two struts that connect the hydraulic cylinder to the valve. Oh yeah, the valves are down in a hole about 80 feet deep.

I got to strap on a harness, jump in the man basket, and go down with the engineer to take a look. First time I've ever gotten to do anything like that so it was a trip. I just wish I had remembered to bring my digital camera instead of having to use my crappy phone camera.

This is looking down into the chamber.

And this is one I tried to take from the bottom.

And that's why I love field engineering!

Nope. Not questinable at all.
:f_115m_e45d7af:
I said go down with the engineer...not go down on the engineer.

And besides, how do you know the engineer wasn't a smoking hot chick? I mean aside from the fact that you can so rarely use the terms "smoking hot chick" and "engineer" in the same sentence without including "restraining order" in there somewhere.

I mean aside from the fact that you can so rarely use the terms "smoking hot chick" and "engineer" in the same sentence without including "restraining order" in there somewhere.
I can think of at least 2 in my firm. For some reason, we attract hot structural engineers.

I actually got asked to leave a job site once (by the foreman, who was an ass) because the illegals he had working on his crew weren't getting any work done with me walking around. I told him to fire a few of them and he'd never have that problem with any of the crew again. It didn't take long for the word to spread that I was a bitch.

So, yeah, the words "smoking hot" and engineer CAN be used together :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually got asked to leave a job site once (by the foreman, who was an ass) because the illegals he had working on his crew weren't getting any work done with me walking around. I told him to fire a few of them and he'd never have that problem with any of the crew again. It didn't take long for the word to spread that I was a bitch.
So, yeah, the words "smoking hot" and engineer CAN be used together :)
Pics or it never happened!

Back