Baby back ribs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sschell

Dude?
Reaction score
My fiance is out of town this week (Seneca Falls NY).

Since she is Muslim, she dose not eat a lot of my favorite foods (specifically pig and shellfish). While she is gone I am taking the opportunity to gorge myslef on these... I am thinking Mussels tonight... probably crab legs tomorrow night... then Baby back ribs on Wednesday night (I haven't figured out the rest of the week yet, open for suggestions... pork chops will probably make an appearance)...

My question is: Should I parboil the ribs first or just throw them straight on the grill?

Edit: you can't get swine flu from eating pork!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude!!! The best and easiest way to cook ribs is to pre-cook them in a crock pot with no liquid, then finish on the grill. I rub the rack of ribs with a dry rub - garden variety from grocery store. I stand them on end in the crockpot with a rack in the bottom. Rack is not necessary, but keeps them up out of the grease. Cook them for a few hours. It depends on the crockpot which setting you use. Most crockpots cook very slowly and you can put them on the high setting for a few hours. When they are tender, you take them out of the crockpot and finish them on a grill. I add barbecue sauce when they are on the grill to get a good glaze. They should be fall-off-the-bone tender and yummy.

crock pot eh? I never heard that one before... I may have to try it. I might take off work early tomorrow so I have time to cook them.

Also thinking about scallops... the question on that one is to bacon wrap or not to bacon wrap...

I like fried scallops. Coat them with a mixture of flour and cornmeal and fry them in peanut oil. YUM.

**** i am hungry...

We have always had better look boiling them for a little while first before putting them on the grill. But if you can keep the heat low and have the time they should turn out alright if you skip the boil..

When I worked at Ruby Tuesdays in college we cooked all the ribs in a convection oven, we put them straight from frozen into a large pot with a bottom that kept the ribs about 1 inch from the bottom and we poured liquid smoke in them and put em in the over for about 2 hours, they always tasted pretty **** good that way, but I havent been able to recreate that at the house....

sadly... the market had no un-cooked baby back ribs :( I Thought about going with the back ribs... but thats a lot of food for me... I did get mussels (which were delicious!), king crab legs, scallops (and bacon to wrap) and some thin cut pork chops (I forgot the apple sauce like an idiot). Hopefully I'll be able to dig up the ribs later in the week.

I put my ribs in the oven for an hour or two at 350 before I grill them. I get one of those aluminum foil pans and stick them all in there, uncovered. Not all that much different than what Mary does. Then sauce them up and grill them for 5 or 10 minutes over low to medium heat. Any more than that and the sauce burns.

I usually put them in a baking pan and pour a beer in with them, cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about an hour and a half. I then throw them on the grill and add sauce. They fall off of the bone.

I go to a local bbq joint and buy a rack of ribs. There are some great places around here that smoke them. YUM!

I go to a local bbq joint and buy a rack of ribs. There are some great places around here that smoke them. YUM!
I am going to have to follow through with this plan... I will find some baby backs! now that you've got me thinking about smoked ribs I've got a mission... good thing I took today off work!

I like this board, and most of the people on it, but boiling ribs is against my personal constitution.

Ribs, should be smoked, in a smoker for 4-6 hours. Period.

I guess if you don't have access to a smoker it is o.k., but give the old school way a shot!

crock pot eh? I never heard that one before... I may have to try it. I might take off work early tomorrow so I have time to cook them.
Also thinking about scallops... the question on that one is to bacon wrap or not to bacon wrap...
Is there really a question? Check out my new keyboard...it should tell you how I feel on the matter.

I will have to throw in my vote for Prosciutto-Wrapped, Rosemary-Grilled Scallops. Steve Reichland has a great how to on his site www.bbqu.net. He also has some stuff on ribs. Below is the link for the scallops.

http://www.bbqu.net/season1/113_4.html#prosciutto_scallops

When I am doing ribs, I will typically boil them before putting them on the grill real low to finish them off with some sauce. If I am really lazy, I will just get some pork spare ribs and put them in the slow cooker before I leave for work covered in a 50/50 mixture of whatever bbq sauce was on sale and water. By the time I get home, they are ready to fall off the bone.

did you try yelp?
good call!

Is there really a question? Check out my new keyboard...it should tell you how I feel on the matter.
yeah, I'm definitely going with bacon...

this looks pretty good, but I think I'll keep it simple and do the bacon (plus I have bacon, not prosciutto)

If I am really lazy, I will just get some pork spare ribs and put them in the slow cooker before I leave for work covered in a 50/50 mixture of whatever bbq sauce was on sale and water. By the time I get home, they are ready to fall off the bone.
I was thinking of spare ribs as a back up... good and cheap!

How big are the scallops? Too small scallops + bacon = fishy tasting bacon.

Back