Diesel Explosion

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In turn, the second battery was hooked to the diesel fuel tank.

:BS: :huh: :eek:rlyflag:

Beats me, but I wouldn't be surprised if the only living witness had something to do with it. the whole thing sounds weird.

must be the vapors in the air space of the tank - but I did not know diesel could put off enough vapors to reach explosive levels. Then again, if you're filling and it's splashing around enough in the half-empty tank, I suppose the density of airborne diesel droplets could become enough that it would flash, like a grain silo explosion.

Well, flamethrowers are powered by diesel fuel. But it is turned into a fine mist by pressurized nitrogen before being ignited.

must be the vapors in the air space of the tank - but I did not know diesel could put off enough vapors to reach explosive levels. Then again, if you're filling and it's splashing around enough in the half-empty tank, I suppose the density of airborne diesel droplets could become enough that it would flash, like a grain silo explosion.
If this were the case wouldn't tanker trucks hauling diesel be prone to explosion?

The news article does not make a lot of sense to me. Why would there be jumper cables to a fuel tank?

Well, flamethrowers are powered by diesel fuel. But it is turned into a fine mist by pressurized nitrogen before being ignited.
The ones I've seen used jellied gasoline. basically a gas and sterno mix. They were used to keep growth down around fencelines. I was soooo close to convincing my parents to buying me one back in 1984.

The news article does not make a lot of sense to me. Why would there be jumper cables to a fuel tank?
I'm thinking there might have been some chicanery on the part of the survivor.

The ones I've seen used jellied gasoline. basically a gas and sterno mix. They were used to keep growth down around fencelines. I was soooo close to convincing my parents to buying me one back in 1984.
The ones I'm talking about are WWII and Vietnam era military flamethrowers. Civilian ones probably use other stuff because compressed nitrogen isn't something that most people have laying around.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones I'm talking about are WWII and Vietnam era military flamethrowers. Civilian ones probably use other stuff because compressed nitrogen isn't something that most people have laying around.
Sure it is. And it's available from your local welding supply store.

If this were the case wouldn't tanker trucks hauling diesel be prone to explosion?
Gasoline trucks certainly are, presumably. I can only imagine (knowing nothing about it) that there must be design features and operating procedures designed to prevent explosions.

Back