is there a cut score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVINNY

2-time 10K winner
Reaction score
I am thinking that there will not be much of a scale on this one and that the cut score will be around 56.

I am crossing my fingers that I got a 56.

me too,

Is the cut score the same regardless of what afternoon test you took?

More lile 62/80

"It's a [SIZE=14pt]Sicilian[/SIZE] message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes."

More lile 62/80
How would you know? You didn't even take WR in the afternoon? B)

Seriously, though, I don't understand why I keep seeing those that are saying the cut score would be greater than 56/80. Don't get me wrong -- I know how ELSES or whoever would normalize the score, but I don't see how the minimum passing score would go above 70%.

If the minimum score is normalized above 70%, then why would such an "easy" test be given only to increase the minimum passing score higher than 70%.

My feeling is if you got 56 out of 80 problems correct, then you passed, regardless of the afternoon discipline you chose.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Last edited:
There is not such thing as discipline specific grading curve... :suicide:
I'd have to agree with El Nica. It takes them 6 weeks to come up with one cut score. Imagine how long it would take them to come up with 5 different ones :suicide:

There is not such thing as discipline specific grading curve... :suicide:
I'd have to agree with El Nica. It takes them 6 weeks to come up with one cut score. Imagine how long it would take them to come up with 5 different ones :suicide:
I just hope the ME cut score is low. That's my only hope. I really thought I wasn't going to have a problem. The last two weeks of studying I really turned in on...I was staying up till 4 and 5 AM studying. :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

CERM 9th Ed.

Page xxvi

Lines 5-10

" Nothing in the Modified anghoff method ensures that the cut score will be the same in all depth modules. Thus, each depth module may have a different cut score. ..............Accordingly, the passing rate is different for each depth module."

I always thought each depth section had a different cut score as this would be the only fair way. I'm guessing this is one reason it does take so long...

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I see it is the take to top %60 percent scores and pass them regardless of discipline. Statistics show that about 60% of first time taker pass. If you were smarter than 40 out f 100 people, than you passed.

I hope you are correct SCPE. I am still fuming about the first question on the afternoon WR exam. Why would the exam ask you neglect that one fact. I could not solve the problem without solving for that first item. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

To elborate on my previous post, take the top 60 scores out of 100 for each discipline and pass them. The only thing that throws a wrench in my theory is the repeat takers and how they play into it.

I think the mechanical will be much lower than 56...it was really difficult and that?s from all the guys I was talking too after the exam.

Just as a reminder...we can't discuss specific problems or answers on this board. I'm afraid if we do our license will be in jeopardy. Thanks for understanding. :)

I checked the NCEES website and they say there is no curve. Isn't a cut score just like a curve? If there is a cut score, what do you think it will be for transpo?

Thanks

I guess it depends on whether or not the "Cut score" is calculated prior to the test or after, if it is after, then It is a "curve" my lawyer friends tell me that if engineers didnt get graded on the curve they wouldnt make as much money...

I also took the transportation and will be happy with the lowest cut score ever granted :cig:

And welcome to the forum...

Back