Civil (PE) Professional Engineer Exam, Construction Module

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased the book, received it last week, and started looking at it today. It looks pretty good. Organized according to the NCEES exam spec for construction.

Although, since there are so few "construction specific PE study guides" there isn't much to compare it to.

It seems as though there is a companion book with practice problems. On the first page of the book it says "Obtain the "Civil PE Construction Module Practice Problems" book for exam success. This book consists of many exam type questions and step by step solutions with illustrations."

I tried to find the practice problem book online, searched by author, title, etc. no luck

Does anybody know where this book can be obtained?

No, here is what Author says;

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Hi Narayan

Nice to hear from you. Question books are not happening since the economy is bad nobody is buying books. I have stopped writing the geotech book since NCEES is planning to put out a new sylabus. (So as I heard). i am waiting till mid january and if they dont have the new sylabus then I will start writing again.

Sincerely

Ruwan

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Narayan baral <[email protected]> wrote:

Any update? When this book will be available?

Narayan BaralNew York

--- On Sun, 11/9/08, r321we <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Re: CIVIL PE CONSTRUCTION MODULE PRACTICE PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS

To: [email protected]

Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 9:48 AM

Dear Sir

Unfortunately I dont have the right to send any manuscripts since I have sold my rights. I dont want to violate any contract terms. Until a book is sent to the copyright division, publisher will not allow any manuscripts to be sold.

Yes I am from Sri Lanka.

The book will come out in a month or so.

Nice to hear from a Nepalese.

Good luck!

Ruwan

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Narayan baral <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Ruwan,

Please let me know asap. As you know otherwise I have to buy other books. Are you from Sri Lanka? Just to let you know I am from Nepal.

I would appreciate if you could get back to me asap.

Thanks

Narayan Baral

Kew Gardens, New York

Narayan BaralNew York

--- On Sat, 11/8/08, r321we <[email protected]> wrote:

> From: r321we <[email protected]>

> Subject: Re: CIVIL PE CONSTRUCTION MODULE PRACTICE PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS

> To: [email protected]

> Date: Saturday, November 8, 2008, 8:49 AM

> Dear Sir

>

> I would check with the publisher about it.

>

> Thanks

>

> Ruwan

>

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Narayan baral

> <[email protected]>wrote:

>

> > Do not you have a draft that I can buy?

> >

> > Narayan BaralNew York

> >

> >

> > --- On Wed, 10/15/08, r321we <[email protected]>

> wrote:

> >

> > > From: r321we <[email protected]>

> > > Subject: Re: CIVIL PE CONSTRUCTION MODULE

> PRACTICE PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS

> > > To: [email protected]

> > > Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 3:26 PM

> > > Dear Narayan

> > >

> > > I will let you know as soon as I know a date.

> Probably a

> > > month or two.

> > >

> > > Thanks

> > >

> > > Ruwan

> > >

> > > On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Narayan baral

> > > <[email protected]>wrote:

> > >

> > > > When do you think the module will be

> available. I want

> > > to make sure I can

> > > > buy it well in advance before April exam.

> > > >

> > > > My mistake, it does appear your name.

> > > >

> > > > I will definatlely go through the book and

> send you

> > > the comments.

> > > > Thanks

> > > > Narayan Baral

> > > >

> > > > Narayan BaralNew York

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > --- On Wed, 10/15/08, r321we

> <[email protected]>

> > > wrote:

> > > >

> > > > > From: r321we <[email protected]>

> > > > > Subject: Re: CIVIL PE CONSTRUCTION

> MODULE

> > > PRACTICE PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS

> > > > > To: [email protected]

> > > > > Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008,

> 12:24 PM

> > > > > Dear Sir

> > > > >

> > > > > Unfortunately due to contractual

> problems with

> > > distributors

> > > > > practice book

> > > > > will be delayed. But my book on

> Geotechnical

> > > module will

> > > > > be out soon.

> > > > >

> > > > > My name does appear in the CMAA list.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > >

> http://cmaanet.org/certified-construction-...egistry?page=14

> > > > >

> > > > > I appreciate any feed back on the

> Construction

> > > module.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thanks

> > > > >

> > > > > Ruwan Rajapakse

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > On 10/15/08, Narayan baral

> > > <[email protected]>

> > > > > wrote:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > HI MR RAJAPAKSE,

> > > > > > HOW CAN I BUY CIVIL PE

> CONSTRUCTION MODULE

> > > PRACTICE

> > > > > PROBLEMS AND

> > > > > > SOLUTIONS BOOK?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I RECETNLY BOUHGT YOU BOOK :CIVIL

> PE

> > > PROFESSIONAL

> > > > > ENGINEER EXAM

> > > > > > -CONSTRUCTION MODULE.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ON THE COVER OF THE BOOK YOUR NAME

> IS

> > > WRONGLY SPELLED

> > > > > .ALSO I COULD NOT

> > > > > > FIND YOUR NAME ON CMAA LIST.

> > > > > > THANKS

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Narayan BaralNew York

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

I used the latest version of the guide this October and also passed. I also used the practice problem book. I feel that both books are needed to fully understand the depth of the Construction portion and by far the best study guides availible for this discipline, however they could have been laid out a little better. It seems like half of the reference material was mingled into the practice problems book and neither one had a good clear lay out between topics. The reference guide did not have consistency with chapter numbers, page numbers etc. Ruwan needed a simple review before printing both of these books. However I believe he had nearly all of the technical information needed to pass the exam in the books, and the problems were relavent in techincal aspects as well as difficulty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the latest version of the guide this October and also passed. I also used the practice problem book. I feel that both books are needed to fully understand the depth of the Construction portion and by far the best study guides availible for this discipline, however they could have been laid out a little better. It seems like half of the reference material was mingled into the practice problems book and neither one had a good clear lay out between topics. The reference guide did not have consistency with chapter numbers, page numbers etc. Ruwan needed a simple review before printing both of these books. However I believe he had nearly all of the technical information needed to pass the exam in the books, and the problems were relavent in techincal aspects as well as difficulty.
Did you have all the necessary codes and references which NCEES lists? What advise can you give Construction Depth takers?

Did you have all the necessary codes and references which NCEES lists? What advise can you give Construction Depth takers?
Go to "Construction Depth - Oct 2010" under PE Results. You will get helpful tips from past examinees.

I have worked in various capacities in the construction industry, and so the Construction PM module was the logical choice for me. One downside is that there are a lot of expensive books specified. I thought critically about what I would actually be able to use during the exam (carrying a book in that you are not really familiar with is not likely to be helpful, and many “source” references like the steel manual have some of their information reproduced in other places, like CERM), and went with the list below.

Following the preparation also described below, I felt confident going into the October 2010 exam, felt I did fine, and did in fact pass. I have heard, though, that NCEES mixes up the topics quite a lot from examination to examination, so future Construction module exams might emphasize areas that I didn’t choose to.

Here are the references I used and how:

(1) CERM - there is some overlap between preparation for the AM portion and the Construction portion. Primarily for the AM portion, I went through every chapter in Lindeberg’s recommended study guide for review (Table 1 - Typical PE Exam Review Course Format, page xvi), which includes the construction-related Chapters 86, and 79-82. Specifically for the PM Construction exam, I also went through Chapter 85 (management/scheduling) and 49 (concrete). For each chapter in CERM, I worked all the sample problems and made sure I understood the answers.

(2) PE Exam Construction Module, by Rajapakse - I read this in its entirety, following along with the example problems, and working many of them. I found the sloppiness of this book frustrating (bordering on disturbing), but the material is very useful. I put off using it until the end of my study time, because I figured something so slipshod in appearance couldn’t possibly be very useful. But I’m glad I sucked it up and forced myself to go through it - he clarifies and simplifies a lot of topics that Lindeberg (in the CERM) makes unnecessarily complicated and hard to follow.

(3) NCEES sample Civil PE exams - Worked all the AM, and all the PM Construction problems, making sure I understood every problem’s solution and where to find what is needed to solve it in the various references. I tabbed and/or marked up the references as problems pointed to them.

(4) Lindeberg’s (PPI2Pass) sample Civil PE exams - same as (3) above

For each of the 4 references in the list below, I skimmed them and tabbed the portions that looked important/interesting (also marked and tabbed portions as they came up in sample problems).

(5) CFR1926 (Construction)

(6) MUTCD

(7) SP4 - Formwork for Concrete (includes ACI 347)

(8) ACI 347.2R-05

(2) PE Exam Construction Module, by Rajapakse - I read this in its entirety, following along with the example problems, and working many of them. I found the sloppiness of this book frustrating (bordering on disturbing), but the material is very useful. I put off using it until the end of my study time, because I figured something so slipshod in appearance couldn’t possibly be very useful. But I’m glad I sucked it up and forced myself to go through it - he clarifies and simplifies a lot of topics that Lindeberg (in the CERM) makes unnecessarily complicated and hard to follow.
I could not have said it any better. As frustrating as that referenc was, I was very glad I went through the entire book.

Back