PE Metallurgical Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superalloy

Reaction score
I would appreciate if folks can share their thoughts on preparation materials for metallurgical discipline. As there are not whole lot of study material available for the MET guys.

I just passed the mechanical & I am thinking about a second in Metallurgical.

It is only offered once a year in October & there is 3 weeks to the start of registration. Fail and you have to wait a year for a second go.

I joined TMS (http://www.tms.org). They have a free study guide for members, I downloaded the old version & a Jan 2008 update. Looks like alloys, coatings, corrosion, welding, etc. The old version had recommended books for the test.

Beyond that you are on you own, I do not see lots of info. I would sure like to hear more, has anyone taken it lately?

I am. I took the Metallurgy exam in Oct 07. You are right, there is not much study material out there. Get the TMS practice questions, the topic list, and the recommended reference book list. Then do the practice exam (it is horrible and contains errors) to find out where you are strong and weak.

After that, you are on your own. I just studied (read) the reference recommended reference books. I also decided early on that I was not going to relearn the thermodynamic stuff, so I did not study that and decided to take the 6% hit.

I thought the test was difficult, but straight forward. Some gimme's and some huh? The rest were workable.

Thanks C-Dog. Looks like a sub set of Mechanical & corrosion. Wish I had more time. I think I will have to wait to next year & try & pass some corrosion tests with NACE.

I have a Mechanical study guide I used, so I will work on a Met, I may try to post here before the Oct test this year.

Thanks, hope he can respond.
Thanks C-Dog. I am going to read only the recommended reference books. Hopefully I will have enough time to read all the materials. Any tips you could offer us for passing the exam? In hind sight what do you think you could have done more?

Back