Old Beam Sizes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nperr

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get the properties for S9X21 and S15X35. Does anyone have an old AISC book with these properties? I need the Sx and the Ix.

Thanks.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for. In our company library we have a copy of the 1926 American Bridge Company Engineering Standards. They don't specifically call them S-beams, it looks like the engineering properties are for Carnegie & Illinois beams. Anyway here is the info

9x21.8 Ix=84.9 and Sx=18.9

15x35 Ix=368 and Sx=49.0

I looked in 7th & 8th editions of AISC and could not find the S-beams you listed.

Here is a link to a guy that has a 1923 Carnegie Pocket Companion that you can down load.

I hope this helps.

Hi, Thanks for the extra lookup drill before Friday's exam. The properties previously shown match the AISC historic database included in the Companion CD w/ the 13th Ed. Steel Construction Manual (1st ed). The CD files are listed as Shapes Databases v. 13.0 Current and v. 13.0H Historic.

As listed: S9X21; Sx=18.9, Ix=84.9 (as noted in the majority (3) of 5 listings); S15X35; Sx=49, Ix=367.9 Note: Both were manufactured by either Bethlehem or US Steel. Sorry, don't know the manufacture dates. Hope this helps to confirm the earlier info if not too late.

Vern08aa

Back