photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ODB_PE

Random thoughts

12,710 posts in this topic

Something doesn't add up:

I don't get to see many movies, but I still check out the showtimes.

There evidently is a new movie called "College Road Trip" and it is rated G

What's up with that?

Even Alvin and the Chipmunks is PG

I wasn't familiar with the title (yes I was a bit worried what I might get back) and the very first review I saw started with this

Yes, you read the rating right: G. That's because it isn't "college road trip" as in college students having wild adventures on the road. It's "college road trip" as in an overprotective dad and his daughter taking a trip to check out the college of her choice.
http://www.tvguide.com/movies/college-road...p/review/292653

So it seems you aren't alone in your thinking (scary thought huh?).

I have a question:

If my desk top computer has a NIC, which I assume stands for Network Interface Card, does that mean all I need to become wireless is to buy the wireless router? My laptop is wireless ready.

I have a question:

If my desk top computer has a NIC, which I assume stands for Network Interface Card, does that mean all I need to become wireless is to buy the wireless router? My laptop is wireless ready.

Usually a NIC is a wired card, you would still need to buy a wireless card if for your desktop. However wireless routers have wired ports also so if your near the router jsut run a cable from you current NIC to the router (since your not likely to move the desktop much). If its not near the router a good wireless (get a USB version its much easier) adapter for $30-50 from any electronics store.

Thanks FW. That's what I'll do, since the router will be right behind the desktop.

Great Idea for a Thread ODB... in the absence of a 5000 thread, I have no place to express my most meaningless of thoughts.

Here's a good one:

Every morning when I get into work, I put a (room temperature) Monster drink in the freezer, that way when brake time rolls around, its nice and cold.

Yesterday I forgot. So at brake time I took my Monster dirnk out to the 5-ton-per-day Cryogenic plant we have running out in the test area, and set my drink on top of a pipe used to gas off the cryogens... COLD in seconds! It had chunks of ice forming on the outside (like a beer comercial) and was almost too cold to hold. AWESOME!!!

Am curious to know if anyone has contemplated going on their own after getting their stamp?

EVERY SINGLE DAY!

I haven't bought a stamp yet. No need.

Am curious to know if anyone has contemplated going on their own after getting their stamp?

Yes, espeacially after days like yesterday and this morning. The question is how? Mrs. C-Dog, don't pull in enough to support me in the early days of 0 cash flow and from what I understand, those days can last up to 3 or more years!

I haven't bought a stamp yet. No need.

I got a stamp only because the Cali state borad says:

6764. Seal or stamp

Each professional engineer registered under this chapter shall, upon registration, obtain a seal or stamp of a design authorized by the board bearing the registrant’s name, number of his or her certificate or authority, the legend “professional engineer” and the designation of the particular branch or authority in which he or she is registered, and may bear the expiration date of the certificate or authority.

I am used to reading military contracts where "shall" means: do it or we cut your balls off...

Frankenstein never scared me.

Marsupials do!

Cause their FAST!

I got a stamp only because the Cali state borad says:

I am used to reading military contracts where "shall" means: do it or we cut your balls off...

Aye-aye-aye!! Looks like I better get my order in. We're the same way.

I was just told by my boss that I have 3 months to be completely up to speed and ready to handle projects. That was at the end of a meeting where so many acronyms flew over my head that I felt like I was swinging in alphabet soup. You know that feeling you get when your up shit creek without a paddle and you dont know WTF is going on? Yeah Ive got a lot of that going on right now.

It didnt help that in that meeting it became very clear that theres no way Ill be able to get off for the annual family vacation and that if we dont land a couple big projects that we're expecting we maybe over staffed which means some belt tightening.

I need a beer...

what's with Ahmed20065??? he's got -1500 posts! how can one have negative posts?

AND there are well over 1000 members with no posts... just looking at emoticons?

I was just told by my boss that I have 3 months to be completely up to speed and ready to handle projects. That was at the end of a meeting where so many acronyms flew over my head that I felt like I was swinging in alphabet soup. You know that feeling you get when your up shit creek without a paddle and you dont know WTF is going on? Yeah Ive got a lot of that going on right now.

It didnt help that in that meeting it became very clear that theres no way Ill be able to get off for the annual family vacation and that if we dont land a couple big projects that we're expecting we maybe over staffed which means some belt tightening.

I need a beer...

Maybe it just became the biennial vacation. The belt tightening kinda sucks since you just started.

Thanks FW. That's what I'll do, since the router will be right behind the desktop.

So it turns out that the wireless router and my wireless entertainment speakers share the same frequency. Is there a way to switch channels on the speakers or router?

My speaker manual says that it looks for different channels if it senses interference, so should I just let it find its own channel?

My current employer and the most likely place I would go if I left make it tough to take time off. My schedule changes daily and with little redundancy in the staff, there is often no one who can fill in for me at certain meetings. The place I would likely go if I left here is a public works contractor and bids jobs weekly, if not more frequently than that. They are a lean and mean operation (the pay is very attractive, the lack of a life is not so attractive). The synergy for moving up the ranks and getting compensated for it is that with the more responsibility I have here, the less flexible my schedule can be... the only answer here is generally to book the vacation as early as possible so things can try to me moved around it (or bring the laptop and cell phone with you everywhere).

So it turns out that the wireless router and my wireless entertainment speakers share the same frequency. Is there a way to switch channels on the speakers or router?

My speaker manual says that it looks for different channels if it senses interference, so should I just let it find its own channel?

really? That's pretty wild. Did you see that on the specs? I'd have thought those frquencies would be standardized.

really? That's pretty wild. Did you see that on the specs? I'd have thought those frquencies would be standardized.

yeah, they both are 2.4Ghz. However, I have been connected now for about 45 minutes with no problems. Earlier, it would disconnect me after about 15-20 minutes.

Who knows??

EDIT: Now it's throwing me off regularly now. SHIT.

But was she AC Slatering?

Sheriff: Kansas Woman Sat On Toilet For 2 Years

WICHITA, Kan. -- Authorities in western Kansas said a woman who became stuck on her boyfriend's toilet while apparently sitting on it for two years is refusing to cooperate with medical workers at a Wichita hospital.

The Ness County Sheriff said the 35-year-old woman wasn't glued or tied, but became "physically stuck by her body." Sheriff Bryan Whipple said the police found the woman after her boyfriend called police late last month to report there was "something wrong" with her.

Whipple said the woman initially refused help, but was finally persuaded by emergency medical personnel and her boyfriend to go to a hospital. At that point, the sheriff said, responders pried the entire seat off the toilet. It was later removed from the woman's body at the hospital.

The boyfriend told investigators he had brought the woman food and water and asked her every day to come out of the bathroom. But he did not explain what took him so long to call for police.

Investigators will present a report to prosecutors who will determine whether any charges should be filed.

Sheriff Bryan Whipple said the police found the woman after her boyfriend called police late last month to report there was "something wrong" with her.

^there's the understatement of the year....2 years???!!!!

after two years on the can, what makes someone decide to call for help? did she light a match? how long did she sit before she was stuck? how long before she realized she was stuck? did they have two bathrooms? was she in the master bathroom?

I can keep going... I have many questions!!!

Does this make anyone else wonder where Fudgey's family is?

I have to go out in the field on friday and i was just given instructions on how to avoid snakes. texas sucks.

I have to go out in the field on friday and i was just given instructions on how to avoid snakes. texas sucks.

I hate snakes in the outdoors because I don't know what kind they are, but I don't pass the opportunity to hold the smaller pet snakes like boas. I think if I know it can't kill me, then I'm fine with them.