Total Studying Time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

danm9

how much studying time did everyone put in? i put in roughly 280 hours total and passed the civil transportation PE. that time included about 35 hours of the refresher course. it was mostly spent doing problems - all i could find actually.

how much studying time did everyone put in? i put in roughly 280 hours total and passed the civil transportation PE. that time included about 35 hours of the refresher course. it was mostly spent doing problems - all i could find actually.

Counting studying for April and October (although I didn't take the April Exams), I probably studied between 400 - 500 hours. Approximately 50 hours of it was organizing and putting together notebooks, tabbing, etc. And some of it was re-studying from when I started studying for the April exam.

Yeah, it was a lot and took away from tons of fun stuff for me, but I don't have to take the exam again, so I definitely think it was worth it for me (plus, I finished in 3 hours in the morning and afternoon...partly b/c I was very, very intimate with my references).

I studied about 120 hours and I passed. I pretty much spent my entire time doing practice problems from the book that accompanies the CERM. I wan't able to do a refresher course because they were only offered on the weekends and I had some commitment on about half the weekends already.

jenevans said:
I was very, very intimate with my references
:blink: :GotPics:

Like cubuffs I was probably somewhere in the range of 120-140 hours of study time. I spent most of my time reading/studying the CERM and working practice problems in the accompanying practice problems books.

I studied about 120 hours and I passed. I pretty much spent my entire time doing practice problems from the book that accompanies the CERM. I wan't able to do a refresher course because they were only offered on the weekends and I had some commitment on about half the weekends already.
commitments? i missed the buffs beat OU becasue of my refresher course. **** early start time.

5 hrs 1st time - Failed

20hrs this time - ???

****, I thought I had put in alot of time. 400 hrs? Are you guys serious?

1st time probably around 50 hours and about 150 hours the 2nd time, that was the charm I guess

5 hrs 1st time - Failed20hrs this time - ???

No, that is not serious. I think the problem is that you are seeing too many zeroes in your monitor. Add/Substract zeroes to the amount that looks logical to you. Really-that is it...

Oops, I studied closer to 250 hours. Still waiting to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my particular case (Electrical - Power), I studied (I took the test last April and failed, planning to re-take again for the second time next April) around 100 hours, and it helped me a lot for the AM section (which was basically general stuff). However, the PM section really killed me, pretty much because it was related to practical stuff that you do not find in books (maybe I could not relate theory vs. application), but in actual real life applications/experience.

RC.

5 hrs 1st time - Failed20hrs this time - ???

She said that was for April and October tests. That's 200-250 hours per test.

Last edited by a moderator:
70 hours in a review class plus another 150 hours or so on my own. Result unknown.....

Last edited:
I put in about 250 hours and passed...

Kept working problems until I was blue in the face...6 minute solutions and Lindeburg. I also took a refresher course for the morning session sponsored by ASCE that was VERY helpful.

J

I kept a log of how much I studied each day and the topic I studied. I ended up with 290-300 hours, and passed on the first attempt.

I was very, very intimate with my references
Hope you didn't give yourself any paper cuts. :p

I was much the same. I kept a book on me at all times and whenever I had 5 minutes got it out and started studying. Lunch hour, waiting rooms, breaks during conferences, etc...

I saw a woman at the gym last night who was obviously studying something. She had this book with her on the treadmill, then took it with her while she was stretching on one of those big rubber balls, then doing pushups, then on a leg machine...

I walked by and said, "Let me guess, studying for something?" She asked me how I knew and I told her because I did the same thing.

Back