Tattoos

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer Price

Tattoo Girl, PE
Reaction score
What are your offices policies on tattoos? All 3 companies I have worked for since graduating college have been pretty lax about letting tattoos show. The company I work for now has an official policy about covering all tats, but at least 6 of mine can be seen depending on what I am wearing - it seems to be a non-issue in my office, although I do cover them when I am meeting clients.

How does your office handle the issue of tattoos?

Without_pics.gif

Okay, to answer your question, my work place seems to be VERY relaxed when it comes to piercings and tattoos when it comes to the IT folks. I haven't seen any professionals with either piercings or tattoos but then again I am pretty young at 36 for those ranks at my job. :true:

JR

We have no set policy about them, but my electrical guy has one on his forearm which he generally will just wear long sleeve shirts everywhere.

It is implied here though that you don't let them show... ever. Likewise, you won't find anyone here with any piercings (other than women's ears).

It is the 'professional' image the company wants to keep.

As for me - no piercings, no body art, and I shaved off my sideburns after getting promoted.

Jen - what are your tats of and where do you have them?

Without_pics.gif
Okay, to answer your question, my work place seems to be VERY relaxed when it comes to piercings and tattoos when it comes to the IT folks. I haven't seen any professionals with either piercings or tattoos but then again I am pretty young at 36 for those ranks at my job. :true:

JR
Actually now that I think of it, one of the assistants in our department (male) has tons of art on his arms (and who knows what else). He is a really nice guy who switched out of the mailroom to be a gopher for us and learn estimating. The other one I can think of is the part-time (nepotism hire) accounting file clerk... she has the one across her lower back and we'd all wish she would cover that up (she still dresses goth half the time). Nepotism hires can get away with anything they want though.

My boss has one. Hence the policy is flaunt 'em if you got 'em.

I was never interested in getting one personally, but I don't see what the big deal is and why you need a corporate policy. I mean if it said "**** You" or something that's one thing, but if it's just a design who cares.

Jen - what are your tats of and where do you have them?
Both feet - the best way to describe them is a "doodle" (which is in fact what they were...a friend of mine in college drew them for me). They cover from toe to ankle, so they are visible anytime I wear any of my shoes except for my work boots

Right ankle - lizard (visible when I wear capris)

Lower back - Trinity knot

Right shoulder - sun

Left wrist - 4 stars

Right wrist - "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" written in Hebrew

Right ear - shooting star

Both feet - the best way to describe them is a "doodle" (which is in fact what they were...a friend of mine in college drew them for me). They cover from toe to ankle, so they are visible anytime I wear any of my shoes except for my work boots
Right ankle - lizard (visible when I wear capris)

Lower back - Trinity knot

Right shoulder - sun

Left wrist - 4 stars

Right wrist - "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" written in Hebrew

You're fine.

When I interview candidates I pay attention to their personality and knowledge of engineering, not body art.

why the right ear and not the left? and why the ear to begin with?

My lone one, right shoulder, is never seen, so it's a non-issue. But I am work for a company with 2 employees, so we don't even have "policies"

I have always wanted to get a tat, but the "right thing" has never come to me.
Same here... anytime I thought something would be cool, I thought about it again a couple days later and it just didn't like the good idea I thought it was originally... hence I never got one.

why the right ear and not the left? and why the ear to begin with?
My left ear has the cartilage pierced so it would have been too "busy".

And I chose the ear b/c it was a unique location for a tattoo. How many people can say they have a tattoo on their ear?

1988425866_66ac0eeb23_m.jpg

Back