Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

WarEagleEngr

I finally decided to participate.

I am a Controls Engineer in NC and am anxiously (and nervously)

waiting my results.

WarEagleEngr

Hi WarEagle!

Glad you made it over!!!

I'm also in controls. What type for you? I'm in the HVAC side of things.

Right now working for a controls contractor but getting ready to go work for a consulting firm.

Ed

I also work for a controls contractor doing building automation for hospitals, pharmecutical companies, commerical buildings, etc. Our company is a representative of Andover Controls. I have been doing this for 6 years. I am thinking about going to a consulting company too but haven't made up my mind. It has been 8 years since I graduated from college so the test was difficult for me. Especially since I have only worked in controls, not HVAC design. I am not sure if I passed but at least I know what it is like in case I have to take it again.

Sounds oh, so familiar!!! We do Invensys. I worked for a company who had Alerton in the past. I also worked at Nailor Industries in Houston for several years dealing with all their controls issues- people sending in VAV controllers for us to install, configuring our own in-house DDC controls, pneumatics and analog electronic controls. It was all pretty interesting.

I've been out for 9 years and really haven't done much heavy-duty engineering, so the test was rough for me as well..

I actually took the machine design in the PM. I had planned on it, but then decided I might do HVAC. When I read the MD portion, I was like, holy cow, this looks rough, after skimming through all the questions. Then I started skimming through the HVAC and started to work them. Then I realized that was maybe even more rough. I went back to machine design after losing lots of precious time....

I'm nervously optimistic! You are an ME, right?

Ed

Last edited:
Yes I am a ME. I went to Auburn (War Eagle!) and graduated in 96. After school I went to work for International Truck and Engine Company as a HVAC Test Engineer and loved it, but did NOT like living in Indiana. Being from NC I could not adjust to the amount of snow and the long winters. So I moved back here and got into controls. I like it but get bored sometimes.

I took the HVAC portion and it was tough!! Funny thing, in school I was much better at Mechanics/Materials than HVAC and Elec. Now I work in the HVAC field and do electrical layouts, be it simple, low voltage wiring.

I have probably sent you box controllers at some point. We have done lots of jobs with Trane.

N offense, but your math is a little off! :D Either that, you have a typo or you refuse to grow old!!! :D :D You have been out of school for 10 years now if you graduated in '96.

I get bored sometimes too. Also, I think the pay is pretty low in this industry overall. I am getting a raise to go to the consulting side of things. But I would be doing better if I were still at Nailor. That work was very intersting. I would have stayed there, but we are from the New Orleans area and we started having kids while in Houston and decided to move back "home". Work in LA is slower- unless you want to be in the oil field (I don't). I really like manufacturing (like at Nailor).

Ed

That is what I get for working and checking the boards at the same time. I graduated in 97 and you are right... my math is horrible!!!! Time flies... 9 years!!!! No offense taken.

The pay is low in controls. That is another reason for me to get my PE. Plus, there is no where to move up in the business, unless i wanted to become a project manager. I do not care to do that. Plus, being a woman in this field can be tough sometimes. I have had to prove myself but have done well. I have lasted longer than a lot of other engineers at this company. The company I work for is a "good ol boy" kind of company.

You know, i have been told by several other engineers that having controls experience is a hard thing to come by. Most ME's do not know controls well, so that is an advantage you and I will have going into the consulting side.

I'll let you know how the consulting goes. I am going to be getting into a lot more HVAC design (which, in college, I thought I NEVER would have wanted to get into) and probably less controls stuff. Hopefully the learning curve and the fact that I'll (hopefully) be dealing more with customers and developing designs from the ground up will keep it interesting....

Ed

I agree! I would have never thought i would have ended up in HVAC. I never took it in college because it was not offered when i needed a 500 elective course.

I wish you lots of luck in your new job! It should be exciting and lots

of hard work.

Back