Suggested tabbing method for MERM (and all PE references)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Reaction score
Here is the way I tabbed my MERM for last April's PE exam. At first glance, you might think it looks like an unorganized mess.

merm2tt4.jpg

Notice that I have specific topics tabbed on the top of the book. This typically is a tab to get me to a specific formula, or data table.

merm1ib6.jpg

And the MERM chapters are tabbed on the side of the book

merm3ni5.jpg

When it all comes together, I can quickly find (in this example) my fluids data by going to the fluids section then looking at the top of the book to find the specific subject (moody diagram). Also note the way I tabbed the appendices, I started with the front most appendix and placed a tab in the upper left corner of the book. I worked my way clockwise around to the bottom right side of the book. I didn't tab every appendix, on the ones that were used most often.

I thought this was pretty slick so I thought I would share. This organization method definitely allowed me to quickly find necessary data during the test.

This is a very good method and thanx for sharing with us. Aparantly I m trying to use the same method and working on it but helps when suggestions like this are made...

Another thing to note. I didn't much care for using the tabs that you insert the folded paper into (the ones I have on the side of my book). The problem with them is sometimes the paper will slip out. I ended up using a little white glue (you know the elmer's stuff you used in kindergarten) to hold them in place.

Wow ... tabbing your way to success !! :plusone:

Those are excellent suggestions shaggy !! I wish I would have exercised a little more forethought for my tabbing expedition. :true:

JR

Shaggy-

Thanks for posting a picture of your tabbing method. A lot easier to see a visual than to read a description. I think I will use your method; looks like a great way to get to info faster.

:thumbs:

ktulu

Nice photos. Looks like something I was thinking about trying (tabbing equations, constants on the top or bottom of the book), but just never got around to it.

I got scared of the "insert" type tabs and did not use them. I was worried that a fallen insert might get me kicked out the exam for violating the NCEES "no loose papers" rule. :vadar: So I cut off the three or four I had already attached, and just went with the colored plastic Post-It tabs. To make sure I didn't have any trouble on test day, I taped each one down to make it "permanent" a few days before the exam.

My method of organization was just to color-code the tabs by exam subject, and to constantly re-arrange them until I was ready to perma-tape, so that they were in a nice, neat order.

Not trying to ruin the thread but remember to check with your State Board before tabbing.

Some states have pretty ridiculous rules about it.

Shaggy - this is real similar to what I used. As long as you are familiar with what you've done, and how to navigate, there are enless options.

I used the bottom of my book (when looking at the cover), to tab different "areas" (ie. HVAC, Design, the basic MERM chapters), then I tabbed the side of the book with all the relevant equations, and marked the top of the book with all the useful charts / tables that gives numbers for the equations. I attempted to color code so that if I was working in HVAC, most of the tabs were yellow - making it a nice visual cue to find relavant information.

Once I finished and passed the exam - I removed all the flags from the bottom of the book, so I could set it upright. They were mainly the chapter markers called out in MERM anyway.

Luis is right, but I think in most cases, tabs are OK - just go get some nice one's that can't be removed that easy. I bought about $50-$60 bucks worth of tabs for this, from Office Depot. I think they were scotch brand and were "heavy duty".

I am told that California is pretty notorious for the "no loose articles" rules. Specifically Pomona where I took the exam. I didn't have any problems. The tabs that I liked were these:

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=...all&An=text

I attempted to color code mine as well. Unfortunately only the fluorescent tabs were available in the stores in my area. Back to the loose articles rules. I believe most places don't want to see actual post-it notes used as page markers. The only way those are allowed is if they are taped down as Dleg suggested.

I tabbed my MERM, Cameron, Shigley and Potter the same way because it helps a whole lot when dealing with a "beat the clock" issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished tabbing the chapters and sections of my MERM. I'll be doing important formulas/tables/charts as I start working examples.

Thanks, Shaggy!

I did a similar thing - thought this might just add to your submission. since i was doing HVAC depth, i put allthose at the bottom of the book, I put all the fluid items on the right side and all the machine/fatigue etcetc on the top. I also tabbed the appendix in the similar fashion. It's basically what you were talking about with colors, but this way, i knew the area to look and i could put different colors for the different topics in the area instead of looking for a specific color.

also, i found the neon color post it tabs (that are a little thicker) to be a little more useful & I learned that it's better to write in pen, than pencil - get smudge marks..

I fully endorse the Shaggy Method. I used it and passed the first time.

Thanks, Shaggy!

Definitely an organized mess. I only had about 10 tabs.

I think it was easier understanding the content of the chapters and concepts.

I like putting tabs on the bottom and side of the book. My experience is the tabs on the top of the book are difficult to see on an exam table so I use them on the bottom and side then I'll switch the bottom to the top after the exam so the book can sit up.

Hi All. I am taking the exam here in about 2 weeks and have plans this week to go in and finish off all my tabbing...wanted to look at this example, but when I pull up the thread, there are no pictures showing up in Shaggy's post from July 31, 2007...are the pics there? I am doing something wrong such that I can't see them? Any help is appreciated - thanks.

Back