"Why I want to know my score...."

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gomer

And no, if you pass, you don't get a score. It's just pass/fail. But if you pass, who cares about the score? LOL
Returned from a short vacation Tuesday to the letter in the mailbox. It was one and done for me.

While I really do feel for those who recieved two sheets of paper, that single sheet in my envelope still left a slightly sour taste in my mouth.

I liken it to working in a sausage factory for a year striving to make the best product possible in the worst of conditions only to find out at the end of the year that your sausage was "acceptable".

I put in my time at the sausage factory.

• I spent well over $1,500 in fees, materials, and coffee house "dinners".
  • I probably studied as much for this exam as I did total of my college career.
  • I tabbed every chapter color coded by section. I photocopied and tabbed the index. Hell, I highlighted every italicized term in the CERM!
  • I sacrificed a solid month and half of my spring preparing for the exam. And yes, it was a sacrifice. Straight from work every night to study. Home at 10, do it again the next day. I took a break a month in one night to go dinner with my girlfriend. The change of pace was such a shock to my system I was babbling like a madman and devouring everything in sight.
  • I spent that time on a form of life support provided by my girlfriend. Without her help, I'd surely have failed, starved, or simply lost my mind. I am in her debt and I am sure I will have to pay the piper when she begins work on her thesis.
I had fun taking the test. It didn't worry me. I wasn't anxious. I embraced the challenge. And Praise FSM, I PASSED!!!!

But I want to know how I did.

• If I only missed 2, I want to have it permanently attached to my refrigerator.
  • If I only passed by 2, I want to dance a jig and pat my self on the back for printing that extra 500 page PDF at Kinko's and paying for overnight shipping on that last reference I ordered from Amazon. The single answer I got from each of those made all the difference.
  • If I scored 2 better than my best friend, I want to hold it over their head every time they question my opinion.
  • If conversely, I scored 2 less. I want to laugh as I point out that they used "c" for all their guesses while I used "b". That had to be the reason.
We engineers live in a land defined by numbers. We are hardwired for analysis. PASS leaves me wanting.

Why can't we know?

Last edited:
Geez- you ought to go into the writing business. That was great. But sorry, no score.

Contact your board and see if they can tell you. I am thinking of doing that myself. :bananalama:

I think you should send that wonderful piece of penmenship to the board and see what they have to say about giving us a score.

Truthfully what does a score tell anyone that hasn't taken the test yet?

It's not like they are giving away the test question or anything that would be a breach of conduct. I think they don't provide score because of how random the scoring process is. Then they would have to tell you how many questions that they throw out (or disregard) and they probably don't want to let you know that in all reality they only grade 10 questions out of the test. Or they just like to :bananalama:

Great writing though none-the-less

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nicely written gomer. I would definintely nominate you for most eloquent writer if you had more posts :bananalama:

Congrats on passing!! :brickwall: :multiplespotting:

JR

Very nicely written gomer. I would definintely nominate you for most eloquent writer if you had more posts :bananalama:
Congrats on passing!! :brickwall: :multiplespotting:

JR
Let's not forget our other poet laureate - the Fudgemeister himself.

That was definately cool reading! But as long as I pass, I don't care about my score. Oddly enough, I would like to know my score if I fail.

SapperPE said:
You know, Virginia gives out the scores,
Hmmmm.... maybe I'll take the test again in VA just to see what score I can get.

.....NAH, not worth it!!!

And Praise FSM, I PASSED!!!!
A fellow Pastafarian?

I agree with you fully. I know why they don't want to give out scores, but I'd love to know how I did.

Fortunately my preperation was enough to squeak me by this time around. Therefore, I have no intention of knowing - but instead will tell all my colleagues I NAILED IT!!! :Locolaugh:

Last edited:
I agree with you. I want to know my score as well. Of course, I live in Colorado so it will probably be after the Fourth before I even find out if I passed or not.

It's killing me to come home every day, check both this and the CO website, and still not have an answer when so many other states have posted.

What the Hell is taking so long?

I am with you Gomer, I passed too but it would be interesting to see the test results. At least they give people who fail the information they do, at some point in the future they could not give out anything (or give much less than they do now).

My lawyer friend tells me that in Minnesota for the bar exam if you want your results its an extra $35, since they passed they were not paying the state more money just to see how they did.

I contacted my board (AR) because I was curious to see if they could give out my score. They said all they give out is a pass/fail. So I don't even know if NCEES reports our scores to the boards.

I took the afternoon Geoteh. I got a 68 (Texas Board gives the score). I am debating should i pay $75 and go for regrading....................Do you guys know about any one passing the PE after regrading??????????????

Please help

In Oregon, I know a guy that works for ODOT, he failed his first time taking the test, so he paid...went up to Salem and had them recheck it. Turns out they just added up the scores wrong and he passed. I'm sure that's a rare occurence, but you never know.

In Oregon, I know a guy that works for ODOT, he failed his first time taking the test, so he paid...went up to Salem and had them recheck it. Turns out they just added up the scores wrong and he passed. I'm sure that's a rare occurence, but you never know.
WOW... I've heard that on the old format (of showing work) that it was worth asking for a recheck, but never on the new one. I mean the test is two parts, you would hope that they can add two numbers, I mean they could use one of the hundreds of calculators that they confiscated.

It was in the old format days when he took it, so you're right Boom, there was more of a chance of regrading coming out differently. Scantron I'm sure is a lot harder to screw up on....at least I hope. The only reason I'd pay is for peace of mind but I doubt it's worth it.

I contacted my board (AR) because I was curious to see if they could give out my score. They said all they give out is a pass/fail. So I don't even know if NCEES reports our scores to the boards.
My board (CNMI) told me the same thing - NCEES only reports "pass" - no score. But since there are apparently a few states that give results, this must not be standard.

Funny thing about sausage.

Today is the anniversay of Bob Evan's restaurants. Apparently he (Bob) started the chain with $1000 in his pocket and a pig...

Why I can't get lucky like that is beyond me!

Back