For those who have failed before

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EdinNO

How do you go back and tell people that you failed?

Is it painful? How do they react- pity or sarcasm?

Just curious. A lot of people know I took the test. I certainly hope I passed, but if not, it may be painful to have to tell everyone. Maybe I'll keep saying the results aren't in yet! :D

Ed

I failed last October. It was devistating, but when I walked out of the exam I knew I failed. I did not play it up when I returned to work. Bit this time I know I passed! If I did not it will be very humilating and I may have to relocate :ph43r:

I was fortunate, beacuse I took the test in October as a practice test. I got notification from the Board too late to do any real studying for the exam and just took it to get an idea. I walked into the exam 100% cold. I hadn't even opened the CERM, Highway capacity manual etc...prior to the test. When I told people about the failure, it was no big deal, because there was really no anticipation of passing.

This time, on the other hand, is a totally different story. I paid $1800 for a review class and studied my ass off. If I fail this time, I don't know how I will face everyone.

What realy scares the hell out of me is that I felt this test was pretty easy. If it really was the cut score could be in the stratosphere. And even though I might have scored substansially (sp) better than last time (67) I might still fail.

****, I'm making myself sick!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the boarderline as to whether or not to go through with paying the $195 or whatever it was to register with ELSES. My wife talked me into it and said I could use it was practice either way.

I felt bad during the morning session and not really any better during the afternoon.

But, as I think Road Guy or DVINNY put it, I have somehow begun to feel better over the weeks.

Ed

I was on the boarderline as to whether or not to go through with paying the $195 or whatever it was to register with ELSES. My wife talked me into it and said I could use it was practice either way.
Did your company foot the $195?

Mine has been great about that. They paid the state application and ELSES registration fees.

I think they will also pay my dues for getting licensed by reciprocity in another state, since our office is in sptting distance of the state line and we do work in NH as well as VT.

I took SE I in October, I knew nothing about AASHTO, so I was screwed. with my current job I only need a PE not an SE. So this time I took Civil/Structural, much easier. And now I know AASHTO. Maybe SE this fall in I pass.

Foot the bill? :D :D :rotfl:

They let me use one of my vacation days for the test and they let me borrow a few reference manuals the day before the exam.

Ed

Last edited:
This time I also took a review course $1,800 or something like that. It was awesome. Without it I am sure I would not have passed, at least now I have a chance.

Actually,

I work for a control system contractor where PE licensure isn't really an issue. My boss, one of the two owners, is a PE. Funny thing is, he left his last company and satrted this one about 20 years ago, because, allegedly (rumor has it), his company wouldn't give him a raise for becoming a PE.

I'm starting a new job in a couple weeks. There, they want me to have my license. They even said if I don't pass this time, no matter, they want me to try again in October!

Ed

I have been with my current company 5 years. Two weeks of sick time each year and two weeks of vacation. I took three weeks off in April to go to the review class and study. I threanded the boss I would use all of my saved time if I had to, over 6 weeks. Needless to say they were cooperative.

Telling people about failure...

Not an easy endeavor. Amongst the guys I work with who took the test before (and subsequently passed)...there was total understanding about the failure. These tests are a b----, you know that as well as I do.

From people outside the world of engineering (family, friends, etc.) it didn't go over as well. People hear that you fail and they instantly think less of you. No one said that to my face, but let's just say I could tell.

I aso got that vibe from some of the staff at work (the non-engineer, non-PE technical types and general office staff). These people are not even eligible to sit for the PE, yet they feel the need to ridicule those that don't pass on the first attempt. Funny. Over the year's I've heard various comments like, 'it took so-and-so 3 attempts to pass...'

My thoughts - don't be ashamed about telling people you failed. Use it as motivation for passing the next time.

Non-engineers have no idea how difficult both the FE and PE really are. If they were that easy, they'd be engineers too.

jpmorgan,

I guess I shouldn't have asked, 'cause now you have me even more scared! :unsure:

Oh well. I do remember asking one guy I worked with about his license. He went on to say that he failed the first time by one poinnt and blah, blah, blah about why he didn't make it (although he passed the second time). I remember thinking, "what's with the excuse?" I knew it had to be a bear of a test, although I hadn't taken it yet.

Maybe he was used to explaining to those who had no clue.

Hopefully, if the worst should come, I won't look like I'm coming up with excuses- although I do have a few "factors" that did contribute to a relatively weak performance.

Ed

My girlfriend has a saying about stuff like that:

"If it was easy to _______, everyone would have/be one."

If it was easy to get a PE, everyone in every engineering office would have one. It's good that it's not, because then your license wouldn't mean anything, and you would have no support staff or project team working on stuff.

Imagine having a project team of 5 P.E.'s. Answering phones, drafting, junior engineering, making copies, field tech work, etc...

VT,

I agree.

I just wish the pay would catch up to that of salesmen and the workload would drop down to that level as well!

Ed

Don't get me started on sales...especially pharmaceuticals.

I'm nervous now too. I went in to April's exam about 75% prepared. If I would have had another 2 weeks of studying...I could have nailed it. I knew that the day before the exam. I just simply ran out of time.

Here's my excuse - I got married in May, had a zillion things going on at work prior to me leaving for 10 days or whatever...and I just didn't have the necessary time to devote to it. I was so mad at myself because things were coming back to me (from college) and I knew that I was to the point mentally that I could master this test if I truly just had the time.

Oh well, here's the strange thing. I went in to the exam (again, not fully prep'd) and I swear I nailed it. At least enough to pass it.

I swear this exam was SO MUCH easier (to me) than October's. I don't know why, it just was. It seemed like there were just a lot of problems on there that I was thoroughly familiar with. No surprises, like I faced in October anyway.

Time will tell.

Yeah,

The good thing is that my wife is in sales, so I can't complain too much.

Man, the saleswomen they are hiring have the potential to make way more than I ever will. Some don't even have degrees period, let alone engineering or PEs.

IF I only woulda known!

Ed

Back