photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest traffic

PTOE exam?

224 posts in this topic

I am also taking the PTOE in March. I am using a study course material that an fellow employee took when he took his test. It's through ITE.

Hi,

I am planing to take PTOE exam in March 2012. I would like to know the material and other things required for the exam.

Appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Rama.

I plan to take this exam soon as well. I heard the only study material is through ITE. They have a book and CD. If anyone else knows of other good study references, example problems or any tips/advice on taking the exam please send those along!!!

Here's my earlier post in a similar thread.... I think this covers general thoughts that I still think are true. The only difference is I took the last paper/pencil test but I don't expect things to be much different with CBT. I recommend taking online practice for $10. Insider tip... ;). Once you are done with your test keep going back to the home screen and click to take another test. You will get another set of questions - you can do it as many times as you want. The only catch is you will just get questions and no answers or grading of the test but getting those sample questions is worth it. Some questions will be repeated but you will get some new questions as well.

If you really want to just get the questions, then take screen shots of the questions and save it as a word file to go over all of them at once!! Good luck.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=5487&hl=ptoe&fromsearch=1

"I agree here, I think I have mentioned this somewhere in this post. ITE refresher book is the only real study material you have that is directly related to the test. However, it is not sufficient on its own. The test relies on your experience more and then knowledge/engineering judgement. I took the ITE book as the starting point, then referred to the topics in the ITE book in detail in AASHTO, CM, MUTCD. I wouldn't go to length with Hoel and Garber, there will not be many numerical problems on the test. I would say there were only 25-35 percent numerical problems... My guess may be skewed, but from what I remember there weren't as many numerical problems. I would recommend reading chapter on Interchanges in AASHTO and about RR crossing from MUTCD and some AASHTO. I found that these are the topics that we don't deal with routinely and there is not much much mentioned in the reference book other than basic points.

One more thing, you will find that the questions in the refresher book refer to a book called "Traffic Safety Toolbox". I ended up buying it, but if you don't, never mind. There is too much information in there. However, I referred to the chapters that the refresher book referenced for that answers and that was it. It may have helped me answer 1-2 questions, if not, then at least gave me mental peace.

Let me know if I can help in any other way. I was damn nervous before going to the exam as there is no study material and had no idea what to expect!! So this feeling is normal I guess. Just read through the manual and be well versed with the manuals. "

Just got my confirmation email that I was selected to take the test in March.

I really haven't done much studying yet. Better step it up!

is this the one through TPCB? it has over a 90% pass rate historically, i like those odds.

That's the one.

Hey Boomer,

Can I know how many days it took for you to get the confirmation email?

Thanks,

Rama.

I'm not exactly sure because I sent in my registration and money before they started taking applications.

Hey Boomer,

Can I know how many days it took for you to get the confirmation email?

Thanks,

Rama.

Rama... if it helps... I sent in my PTOE package on January 6th, and got a confirmation email on January 9 th from TPCB stating that they had recieved my application package. Today I recieved an email stating that I had been approved to take the test in March.

If you get the PTOE 15 sample questions and cut and paste them to word you can review them later. I gather they provide different questions to each person who applies. If you email me a copy of your sample questions at runbikeswim216@gmail.com I'll email you the sample questions I got.

In all the all exams I've written (literally over a 100) in my life, I can't recall ever having been provided with so few example questions. The reason that lots of questions are usually available is because they want to test your knowledge not your ability to pass exams.

Thanks

road designer

If you get the PTOE 15 sample questions and cut and paste them to word you can review them later. I gather from a friend they provide different questions to each person who applies. If you email me a copy of your sample questions at runbikeswim216@gmail.com I'll email you the sample questions I got.

In all the all exams I've written (literally over a 100) in my life, I can't recall ever having been provided with so few example questions. The reason that lots of questions are usually available is because they want to test your knowledge not your ability to pass exams.

Thanks

road designer

I just got done taking the practice exam a couple nights ago. I tried to use the back button to see if I could see different questions, but it didn't work.

Hi,

I am taking PTOE this June and wanted some information on the questions/study material. Can anyone please let me know.

Thanks,

I would highly recommend taking the PTOE refresher course offered by ITE. It seemed to cover most of the topics on the exam.

Got a letter in the mail today saying I passed!!!!

:bananapowerslide:

Congratulations Boomer.... I got my passing letter a few days ago too. Does your name show up on the TPCB website when you do a search in the Directory of Certification holders ? Mine didn't....I wonder how long it takes for them to update it.

Congrats to you too! No, it does not show up yet. They haven't updated the website. If you look at the top of the site it says:

THERE ARE 2,488 CERTIFIED PROFESSIONALS AS OF APRIL 18, 2012

Just wondering if anyone is planning on taking this.....I'm considering it.

Registration deadline is August 17th - its creeping up quickly.

http://www.tpcb.org/examschedule.asp

Hi All,

Did anyone receive PTOE results for June 2012?

Vamshi

I am planning to take it. I sent in my application for the October exam in early July, but have not received an approval letter to take it yet. Iv'e only gotten a letter telling me they received my application.

Hey,

I am still waiting for that. I took on June 15, what about you?

I took it on June 22. But I guess the results will be out at the same time for both of us.

Let me know if you hear anything from ITE.

Did you heard anything? I emailed Ann, but no response.

No not yet....I tried to call her but again no response...We shld have the letters this week....