CA Seismic/Survey Exams - When will I be notified for application approval

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there - It's been awhile since I submitted my application to take CBTs on seismic and survey exams.  I plan to take the tests in April 2018.  I was informed by the CA licensing evaluator that my application has been reviewed and passed to the engineer.

1.  Does anyone knows how long it would take till I hear from the board engineer.

2.  I am trying to re-establish my out-of-state PE for CA, are these tests are offered on the same day or you can have a few days gap between them?

3.  For seismic, I am using Hiner's workbook, ASCE-7 and plan to take EET course.  Do you think these are enough or I need to study other materials?

4.  For survey, I am using Mansour's surveying Practice Exams and Solutions and also planning to sign up for either 1) Civil PE Surveying Review (CPESR), 2) EET (by Dr. Ibrahim) or 3) PES (by Dr. Mansour).  Which one of these three courses do you recommend with someone like me with structural/geotechnical background?

5.  If you think the above list is not sufficient, please let me know what other materials I should add to the list for each test.

6.  How many months of preparation do I need for both tests if I plan to devote  a total of 20 hours per week on average? 

7.  Lastly any strategy suggestions during taking exams are very so welcome!

Thank you in an-advance for your tips and guidance.

1.  Relax, don't worry.

2.  You can take either test any time within the CBT exam window (which I think is 4-5 weeks?)

3.  Make sure your Hiner book is based on the latest codes (CBC 2016 and ASCE 7-10).  Hiner's book is good.  But I'd give the edge to Dr. Ibrahim's Seismic book (EET).  If you are going to take the EET Seismic review course you'll receive Dr. Ibrahim's book and so you probably won't need Mr. Hiner's book accept for maybe additional problems.  You should pick only one book for your main reference go-to book and since you are taking the EET course, you might as well make that Dr. I's book.    

4.  The EET Survey course is not taught by Dr. Ibrahim but it still is a very good course and is recommended.  

5.  Get a hold of as many practice problems as you can.  What's cool about EET is they have CBT sample exams for both Seismic and Survey (not sure if they are sold separately or if they only come with the class).  Also, for Seismic, you'll want the 2015 IBC or 2016 CBC.  

6.  Sounds like you didn't read my sticky thread at the top of this forum:(  

7.  During taking the exams?  Time management.  I assume you have already passed the 8hr?  Hopefully you used time management there.  You'll need to do that with the Seis/Surv but even more so.  Unless you're certain you'll be able to solve all 55 question in 2.5 hours, you'll need to solve as many as you can.  This will require you to be able to quickly identify the easier problems and work those first.  Then medium.  Then hard.  

Good luck.     

Thank you very so much for your response and guidance. 

I did purchased the latest Hiner's book which is based on CBC 2016 and ASCE 7-10.  I did my 8hr exams for EIT (engineer in training back then) and FE back in 1991.  I might sound a little bit rusty in that regard but I have been involved with analyses on a daily basis due to the nature of my responsibility.  I have also purchased ASCE 7-10.  I know I have to study certain chapters of this code (i.e. 12, 18, and 23).  

Based on what I read between the lines above, if I take EET course with DR. Ibrahim for seismic exam, is this the only book I need to take with me to exam?  

If money not a factor, out of these three review courses for survey exam: EET, PES, and CPESR, I would not go wrong with EET.  Correct?

In general, what and how many references (workbooks) do I need to take with me for each exam?  Please provide a list.  

Thanks again for the advise.

I took EET and can't say enough good things about the course and the instructor, Dr. Ibrahim. 

I took only the EET book, the handouts that EET provided and ASCE 7-10. I only referred to the handouts that EET provided. The relevant sections from the ASCE are given by EET, so those were enough. I did not feel the need to look at any other material or thought... shoot, I should have brought that with me to the exam... EET's books and handouts were more than enough. 

Good luck. 

If money not a factor, out of these three review courses for survey exam: EET, PES, and CPESR, I would not go wrong with EET.  Correct?
I took CPESR and would highly recommend that class since I passed on my first try with no surveying background at all. The videos are very good quality, the instructor talks very clearly, and there are 4 CBT exams that you can do over and over. In total its 20 hours of video, and there are also quizzes after each video that ask you questions on that video's topics and the ones before to keep everything fresh in your mind.

Normally I would recommend EET, but their surveying course is relatively new(it began in early 2017), and I got no response when I tried signing up for their course, which was why I went with CPESR instead. CPESR has a better track record for surveying at the moment.

Besides surveying, I would recommend EET all the way for seismic (see my review) and the P.E. breadth/depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very so much for your response and guidance. 

I did purchased the latest Hiner's book which is based on CBC 2016 and ASCE 7-10.  I did my 8hr exams for EIT (engineer in training back then) and FE back in 1991.  I might sound a little bit rusty in that regard but I have been involved with analyses on a daily basis due to the nature of my responsibility.  I have also purchased ASCE 7-10.  I know I have to study certain chapters of this code (i.e. 12, 18, and 23).  

Based on what I read between the lines above, if I take EET course with DR. Ibrahim for seismic exam, is this the only book I need to take with me to exam?  

In general, what and how many references (workbooks) do I need to take with me for each exam?  Please provide a list.  

Thanks again for the advise.

You are welcome. 

You may likely get away with bringing only Dr. I's book with you because it will likely have most, if not all, of the ASCE 7 and CBC excerpts you might need on the exam.  But I still think it would be wise to take the ASCE 7 and CBC with you.  But, for the most part, you will only be referencing one good workbook (Dr I's or Mr. Hiner's) during the exam.

I'm sure you'd likely pass with all three of the Survey classes you listed.  And yes, like EG mentioned, EET's Survey class is relatively new.  But, given their reputation, I think you'd be in good hands with EET for Survey. 

Again, I'm thinking you did not read the sticky I linked you too.  :(   You will only need one good workbook for each exam.  For Seismic, again, I'd recommend picking one workbook - either Hiner's or Ibrahim's workbook and know that one book inside and out.  On the Survey exam, I don't think I ever cracked my book open for anything but hor and vert curve formulas.  They're usually common sense, in your head, basic trig, memorized formulas, etc.   So, pick one good Survey reference (like the class material you'd get from EET's class, Mansour, PPI, etc.) and let that be your main survey book.  Then supplement it with as many additional problems as you can get your hands on for practice before the exam. 

Thank you all.  This forum is really helpful.  There are plenty of good suggestions from all of you in helping to strategize successful tests.

The board sent notifications for approved candidate. Have you recived email???

Hi there - It's been awhile since I submitted my application to take CBTs on seismic and survey exams.  I plan to take the tests in April 2018.  I was informed by the CA licensing evaluator that my application has been reviewed and passed to the engineer.

1.  Does anyone knows how long it would take till I hear from the board engineer.

2.  I am trying to re-establish my out-of-state PE for CA, are these tests are offered on the same day or you can have a few days gap between them?

3.  For seismic, I am using Hiner's workbook, ASCE-7 and plan to take EET course.  Do you think these are enough or I need to study other materials?

4.  For survey, I am using Mansour's surveying Practice Exams and Solutions and also planning to sign up for either 1) Civil PE Surveying Review (CPESR), 2) EET (by Dr. Ibrahim) or 3) PES (by Dr. Mansour).  Which one of these three courses do you recommend with someone like me with structural/geotechnical background?

5.  If you think the above list is not sufficient, please let me know what other materials I should add to the list for each test.

6.  How many months of preparation do I need for both tests if I plan to devote  a total of 20 hours per week on average? 

Have you recieved email?

Did you recieve email?

Back