Need help with a simple hinge mechanism.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Kim

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Miles and this is my first post on this site. I came here because I really need help with something that is a part of a patent I am working on. I am looking for a type of hinge with the following characteristics.

• Really durable (will be supporting heavy objects)
  • Folds from a 0 degree angle to a 90 degree angle.
  • Needs to lock at a 90 degree angle and have a somewhat strong locking mechanism that will hold it up. Possibly it can open to 90 degrees and then lock from going backwards. I can put something on the other side of the hinge that can keep it from opening up wider.
  • The joint of the hinge would preferably be around 1 inch wide and not any bigger than that.
  • Also I need the hinge have a maximum width of 2 1/2 inches and a length below 4 inches.
Please ask questions if you need help understanding what I am looking for. 

Have you looked at SouthCo hinges? They make a lot of different style hinges. I have one of their catalogs and have used some of their latches on previous designs I have worked on. They make a lot of neat stuff.

https://www.southco.com/en-us/product/hierarchy.html?hid=7347

Check out their website, there may be something off the shelf that fits your application.

Back