How are A307 bolts discontinued? What are Grade 5 bolts?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
A307 bolts by AISC ASTM designation are common bolts. Our superintendent went to get "A307" bolts as designated by the engineer on his structural plans, and they tell him they are no longer made and only carry Grade 5 bolts. I can't afford to use high strength bolts as their use is for Zee purlins and we need more than 100 of them. There is also no yield stress designated in the ASTM table. So obviously the bolts needed are to meet minimum standards, I guess my real question is what are Grade 5 bolts? 

http://www.portlandbolt.com/technical/faqs/astm-a325-vs-grade-5-bolts/

Basically, they are the same. There are hardness, size, thread, as well as ASTM discrepancies between them. Overall mechanical properties are pretty much the same though.

On a side note, someone wants to be cheap. 
LMAO, well first of all, thanks for the link. Very helpful. Second, you gotta keep things tight out there.  :D  Really the A325 bolts are just not designated for purlin fastening and they also ran out of nuts for them so that gave me the perfect excuse to go cheap. 

I'm calling b.s. that they are discontinued.  Out of stock, maybe.  Discontinued, I don't think so. 

I'm calling b.s. that they are discontinued.  Out of stock, maybe.  Discontinued, I don't think so. 
We had the welding inspector visit today. He actually mentioned he was surprised to see structural grade bolts on the purlins. I mentioned the A307 issue and he said he had no idea about them not being made anymore. He was surprised that I had used structural grade bolts anyways. I don't like to dig deeper sometimes and its usually for the sake of time and getting things moving. I seriously doubt they are discontinued, but I would have still liked to pay cheap for them. :)  The inspection passed.  :DV:

We had the welding inspector visit today. He actually mentioned he was surprised to see structural grade bolts on the purlins. I mentioned the A307 issue and he said he had no idea about them not being made anymore. He was surprised that I had used structural grade bolts anyways. I don't like to dig deeper sometimes and its usually for the sake of time and getting things moving. I seriously doubt they are discontinued, but I would have still liked to pay cheap for them. :)  The inspection passed.  :DV:
Good thing you are not in Jersey Shore. Even though you went with stronger bolts,  the inspector would have failed you and asked for a letter from the engineer stating the stronger bolts were acceptable.

Back