Stupid Washing Machine

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeb6294

Reaction score
Playing softball last night when the wife calls.  Said there was a haze in the laundry room and it smelled like burning oil.  The washing machine had started making a lot more noise, but everything I read said there was not a whole lot to do about it.  Trying to get it fixed was prohibitively expensive so the consensus was to just let it go until it was gone.

Old washer was an LG front loader, but I've heard that the Samsung top loaders were supposed to be nice.  Didn't someone on here have a subscription to Consumer Reports?

I wouldn't get another LG washer/dryer if you paid me, but my Samsung fridge is a piece of ****!  Then again, so are my GE stove and dishwasher.  Hell, only appliance that seems to work like it should is the new Whirlpool microwave, and even it seems to lack the wattage advertised!

Yeah, the LG washer/dryer weren't great.  I guess they did make it about 7 years which, sadly, seems to be close to what washers/dryers are getting nowadays.  I was trying to do a search for "best washer" and I saw a couple places say that Consumer Reports had the Samsungs listed high, but I can't get on there to verify.  Maybe I'll have to stop by the library on the way home.

LG washer was a front load.  Don't think we'll be going with another one of those.

Dang.  We got our lower-end showroom display model fridge, washer, and dryer over 10 years ago.  The only issue to date is I had to replace the freezer ice maker once.  Go the inexpensive route.  They do the same job.

our most recent washer or dryer i can't remember which is maytag...they might both be maytags now.  

I love the extra features on my front loader.  i use them regularly.  The delay start, the handwash cycle (which is gentler than the delicate cycle also available on it), the steam cycle,  etc...

The dryer however I highly support the more basic the better.  I also prefer the lint trap on the top back corner instead inside the doorframe style.

I have a Samsung washer, dryer, and fridge (all 2 yrs old). The dryer and fridge have worked great so far, but the washer has needed 3 repairs in the past year.

I'm all for simple and cheap, but having three boys and three dogs, one thing we need is size...we're trying to find something that's over 5 cu.ft.  Getting one that big kind of puts you into the nicer rage by default.  I think the only special feature I really used very much was the delay start.  I can't speak for how fancy my wife gets with the wash though.

Funny story, wife wanted to take care of this herself so the first place she mentioned was Rent-A-Center.  She got some stuff there a couple times before we were married.  Nice washer and dryer set, although another LG, for $30/week, but for 130 weeks.  Being an Engineer, of course I had to dissect the numbers.  First I figured out the "interest rate" you were paying.  Came out to 25%, which to be honest, wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  How in the hell do you end up paying $3,900 for a washer and dryer then?!?!  Further math indicated that, while the interest rate isn't astronomical, they are apparently charging you $2,860 for them.  Best Buy has the same set for about half that.  Get them on the credit card and, even if she's still paying the same $30/week, they'll be paid for in about a year at less than half the cost.

seems that the more features you get the more stuff breaks (I see where they have new fridges that also have a PC built in- yeah I am sure that's a good idea)

We have three HS aged kids and I don't know what size ours is but it works well. Going on year 7 with no issues.. I cant say enough about Maytag, wouldn't take a chance on someone who cant even make a good TV (Samsung)

Maytag is Whirlpool, just more expensive.  They are both good, but I'd go with the equivalent Whirlpool model and save money.

I've got a few Samsung LCD's ranging from 7-9 years old and haven't had issues with any of them.

yeah but do you want the same nerds making second rate TV's washing your underwear?

I'm very happy with my Samsung smart TVs.  We have basic Maytag washer and gas dryer.  About 10-15 years old.  they work great.  It's the PC boards in the new appliances that crap out.  Nothing wrong with a mechanical timer for the cyclic switches.

Seems that the more features you get the more stuff breaks
QFT.

It's the PC boards in the new appliances that crap out.  Nothing wrong with a mechanical timer for the cyclic switches.
QFT x 2.

We have fairly new (2 or 3 year old) Samsung dishwasher, range, microwave and fridge and so far the quality has been great. They are mostly all touch interface so we'll see how that all holds up over time. :dunno:

Wouldn't take a chance on someone who cant even make a good TV (Samsung)
Well if you would spring for something other than 720p, you might have a better looking picture. :p :thumbs:

When properly calibrated and at the 120/240Hz range, the Samsung screens we have are top notch. We've had visitors the past (2) weekends and both times received comments like, "your TV looks different than ours..."  LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the LG washer a few years ago.  Still okay.  Guess it is enivitable it will break soon.   Have a Samsung tv.   Had an issue with it in the first year.  Picture went bad and apparently at the factory a jumper was not removed before shipping.   Had to take it apart and snip the jumper with fingernail clippers and all was okay.  Kinda bizzare.   They offered to do the fix on my dime.  Terrible.  

Back