Total Eclipse of the ?? (Heart) .. no the sun

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
So is this worth taking a day off and driving up to Wyoming (or where ever you are at) to see along with a few hundred thousand other people?

My (HS) kids all want to go but I think they just want to skip school..

We're going to travel to SE Missouri to watch it.  It's not the only reason we're going though.  My mother's house is 30 miles South of dead center and my kid starts school next Wednesday so it's also the last Summer trip to see grandma.

We are going to NE to see it, but again, In laws live there (although we will need to travel a bit from house to get to path of totality) and kids don't start school until Wednesday.  I think we would have taken them out of school if it had started already.  I'm a mean mom and plan to make my older kid do a report on the eclipse.

We aren't exactly dead center but will to see enough.  School will already be in session (starts tomorrow) so no ditching school.   

Am I the only person not remotely interested in the eclipse?

Even if I was interested, I've got enough welding hoods to take care of that without buying f*cking glasses.

^- that would be one way to save $5.00!

So what I was getting at & based on this map I have my answer but from Denver I should be in 85% obscuration (whatever the F that means) so I just don't think its worth the traffic jam to get to an area where its going to be 95%?

2017EclipseMap.png

A bunch of the engineers that sit behind me are convening in the aisles talking about taking time off to drive about 20 minutes south so they get 100% instead of 98%.

Would it be bad if I reported them to HR?  I mean, if I can get six of them axed, that should more than cover the cost of them continuing to pay me, right?

I've seen several 80-90+ percent eclipses and they aren't anything like 100%.  I've even seen a 100% "annular" eclipse, where the moon is a little too far away and lets a whole ring of sunlight around.  They're pretty lame, actually.  IMO you should really go see this, as it might be your best chance.  I am not sure I will ever get a chance like this, and if I was in denver I'd be on the road. 

I've gone back and forth on this.  We were originally going to spend the long weekend around SE Tennessee/SW North Carolina.  We've since canceled those plans with all the money we've spent on the cancer treatment for the dog we don't really want to spend the money for a chance it might be cloudy for the two minutes of totality.

I wanted to be there the day before and after, because the last place I want to be is in a giant traffic jam the day of.

It's been super hazy here (seattle) from BC wildfires but a lot of people are heading down to oregon for 100%. I'm just going to walk to the waterfront because I need to be working 50 hour weeks and somehow the eclipse isn't gonna let me do that if I try to go in insane traffic southbound. we'll get about 94% here, so that will just have to suffice for me. 

serious question - the reason for the glasses and such is bc youre not supposed to look directly at the sun, right? like, if i do today ill see spots so you just dont wanna stare directly at it because ouch? or is it actually more intense bc of the high contrast with the moon? 

So, southern CA is green which, according to the legend, is greater than 0% but less than 85% obscuration.  Gee thanks, that helps a lot.   :wacko:

I'm in an area that isn't getting any of it either (cut off on that map), so I'll be skipping it. Though if I were near to somewhere getting 100%, I'd probably try to check it out!

They're already putting up traffic warnings on the highway for this **** thing.  Starting to hate it more already!

Back