Going Back and Taking the FE Exam AFTER Getting the PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civilrobot PE etc etc

The Beyonce of Construction
Reaction score
I started submitting my paperwork to the licensing office to apply for the PE exam. I received a phone call from the licensing office and the lady encouraged me to sit for the FE exam and now I'm worried.

In my state, we have several options when applying to sit for the exam. One is the traditional option (i.e. ABET accredited degree, 4 years experience, EIT). Another option is 12 years of work experience where a number of years may be subsituted with time spent earning an ABET accredited degree. That's the option I chose. Why? Because if I am given the option to study for one exam instead of two, I'm going to take it. I'm married with a toddler so my time is precious.  Also, I don't have any interest in relearning material that I haven't seen in almost 15 years. It makes more sense to study material that I am very familiar with due to my line of work. 

I spoke with a colleague who just passed the PE in April (EE Power) and he is going to take the FE exam in order to get reciprocity in some additional states. Do you see any benefit in taking the FE exam after getting the PE for Civil - Construction? If I'm so fortunate to pass, I would like to get reciprocity in VA, PA, FL, and NY. 

all depends on if you want a PE license in a state that requires the FE exam and not a waiver.  

I'd check with those specific state boards of licensure on what their requirements are. Good luck!

all depends on if you want a PE license in a state that requires the FE exam and not a waiver.  
x2...FE exam is not too bad especially given that it's CBT and you can "control+F" the workbook that goes along with the test. 

As an FYI, NY requires passing the FE exam prior to taking the PE so you may not receive reciprocity.

Honestly though, the FE exam is a bit of a joke and shouldn't pose much of a problem for any vaguely competent engineer.

I thought the FE was harder than the PE.  If I had to take one today - FE or PE - I'd take the PE hands down.  

I thought the FE was easier. To each his own. 

I thought the FE was harder than the PE.  If I had to take one today - FE or PE - I'd take the PE hands down.  
ME TOO!!   Although I didn't prepare much (hardly any) for the FE exam.  It was the hardest exam I had ever taken.  I managed to squeeze out a 78%.  I should have studied more. Still have the review manual and it is still like new from 1997...

I stated that I thought the FE was harder, however I forgot that they have changed it since I took it! 

Studying for both sucked.  If you don't really need the FE, (guess that depends on the state for comity) why go through the pain.  Spend the time with your kid.  It goes fast. 

I thought the FE was harder but I had a non traditional education allowing me to sit for it, so my work experience made sitting for the PE easier, although both I had to take 2x. (I seriously cannot study for the life of me) I think that must be my standard - gotta sit and see what to expect, then pass the second time. I dunno. the FE would still be challenging to me if I sat for it now, except if I could search the reference book. That might be a game changer!!

Regardless, if you find the FE is not required for the desired reciprocity states then I wouldn't bother taking it until it was necessary. I think they're scheduleable at any time now since they're computer based, so you could always sit and get results based on need in the future. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back