Energy for studying

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngmotivatedengineer

Reaction score
For those who have previously studied for the exam, what are your best tips for having energy to stay focused during studying?  I have 2 young girlsand work a full-time job so most of my studying is done late night after the girls are in bed. For the April exam there were some nights I found myself dosing off while watching review videos or reading reference manuals.

Besides 5-hour energy drinks, what have people found to help combat tiredness at night when studying?

Full time work and young kids can definitely be a challenge.  My kids were teens and I was able to finish work earlier and study from 4 - 7 PM at the office a few nights a week.  My wife also provided a lot of support.  I'd recommend getting a good night's sleep and waking up early to study.  Are you married?  Is your wife able to watch your daughters on Saturday and/or Sunday if you use those days to do a full court press.  Can you watch the videos during lunch and then work problems at night.  You might be less likely to doze off if you're actually working problems as opposed to reading or watching videos.  I'd stay away from over using energy drinks.

I can certainly relate to this as well. I was working a full time job, running a small computer business, doing consulting engineering on the side, and working on my MSEE degree with a 2 year old at home. There were MANY sleepless nights during that time. Looking back, I'm not quite sure how I survived. KatyLied made some good points that I agree with. I definitely wouldn't have gotten through it all without the help of my spouse. Unfortunately, coffee (good stuff, not instant) became something I'd have ready just after dinner. Then I made sure to try and eliminate most distractions and would buckle down to a regular after work routine to study for 3-4 hours. Weekends I would be up early and hit it hard for most of the day as best I could. It really comes down to what works best for you though. It may be tough at first, but you really have to find that "groove" that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in a similar situation. My kids were both under 3 when I took the exam. Routine helped more than anything. Wife and kids knew not to bother me while I was studying. What made things even harder was that my wife was also in school going for her nursing degree. We both were up late studying after the kids were in bed. Kids off to bed at 8 and would study until I dozing was too much.

I found my best study times would be weekend mornings. Get the kids up, play a bit, but then lock myself away for a few hours (typically same time as their morning nap), then watch the kids while my wife studied.

More often than not, I would go to a bookstore or library to study. Sounds were very similar to the test (quiet paper shuffling, sniffing, occasional cough), which does help with memory retention. Made things much easier to get in the right mindset when I sat down for the exam.

Sometimes it's just the content/material you're reviewing. I've dozed off at 3 in the afternoon trying to read through a contract. If you're tired, go to bed or get up and walk around. You aren't doing yourself any favors by staring a material you're not really reading. You're better off getting sleep and trying it the next day.

Same as Fox an Dex - wife, one kid who was a few months old, working on second Master's Degree, working full time...

Coffee was helpful but what really helped was giving myself a 10 min break after 50 mins of study.  Just get up and stretch, walk around, browse the internet - something to take your mind off the exam material.  Like Dex pointed out, the study environment is a major factor.  I basically shut myself in my home office for the 3 hours/night I did during the week and 8 hours/day both Saturday and Sunday.

If you're having a hard time staying awake you may want to break up your study.  Try 1 or 1-1/2 hours early in the morning and then same at night.

Back