MD&M Topics

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engin3rd

Reaction score
I am going over the list of topics covered in the exam and there are a few topics that seem kind of vague to me. Maybe some of you more experienced engineers can elaborate on this and point me in the right direction.

4. Project management and economic analysis

As for project management, what am I expected to know? Are there different standard methods? I can't seem to find anything on the MERM that covers this. And lastly, I would assume economic analysis = engineering economics?

12. Hydraulic and pneumatic components (e.g., pumps, cylinders, presses)

13. Motors and engines (e.g., energy conservation, efficiency)

Am I venturing in thermo and fluids in these sections? Granted that this isn't a thermo/fluids test.

Thanks!

Based on the practice questions I've seen, project management questions are usually some calculation involving potential change to critical path or sequence of events.  Economic analysis is engineering economics.

The management science chapter and engineering economic analysis chapters in the MERM should be enough to get you prepared for the exam.

If you have time, I would cover some thermal/fluids stuff. I reviewed the following sections listed at the end of this post in the MERM and by review I mean did the practice problems in the MERM companion problems book. I did skip a few problems in the Fluid Dynamics and hydraulic chapters, but the rest listed did not have that many problems. 

I took the MD&M exam this past April 2017 administration, and although it is not a breadth exam anymore I am glad I reviewed these sections based on my experience taking the exam. I am also glad to say that I didn't review anything beyond what I listed below (the more in depth thermo/heat transfer/vapor power cylces I definitely wouldn't spend time on). 

The other thing to consider is that if you do the new 2016 NCEES practice MD&M practice exam, you'll notice that there is one, albeit simple, heat exchanger problem and one pump similarity question. Not a large percentage which is why I suggest you only study the topics below if you have time.

Topic II: Fluids
Fluid Properties
Fluid Statics
Fluid Flow Parameters
Fluid Dynamics
Hydraulic Machines & Fluid Distribution
Hydraulic & Pneumatic Systems
Topic III: Thermodynamics
Inorganic Chemistry
Energy, Work & Power
Topic V: Heat Transfer
Fundamental Heat Transfer