FE for Electrical & Computer - How to Prepare, Unfamiliar Topics

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ammarb95

Reaction score
FE Hi everyone, 

I am entering my senior year of my B.S. in Electrical Engineering at The University of Californa, San Diego and plan to take the FE Exam (for ECE) before June 2018. I wanted to get some advice and insight from others who have recently taken the FE ECE exam and possibly were even in a similar situation that I'm in right now. 

There are a few topics/classes on the FE ECE exam that are not offered at my university: 
1) Ethics and Professional Practice 
2) Engineering Economics

Our university makes us specialize in a certain track (I specialized in Power Systems and Power Electronics) and only allows us to take a limited number of electives. Although I chose electives that covered other parts of the FE exam, there are other classes that I did not get to take and thus I was not introduced to these topics:
1) Software Development (Algorithms, Data Structures, etc.)
2) Computer Systems (Will be taken during the time of the FE exam)
3) Computer Networks 
4) Communications 

I plan to study now and during the winter break (Mid December - Early/Mid January) to do as many practice exams as possible for the FE ECE exam.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to approach learning these topics on my own specifically for the FE ECE exam. Also, would it be difficult to pass the first time if I do not have an extremely strong understanding of all 18 of the topics that are listed for the FE ECE exam?

Another question I had is more specific to my location. If anyone here has taken the FE ECE exam in California, is there anything I should know that's particular to this state's exam that's not being told on the website? I'm aware that every state has different requirements. 

I took mine in Oakland, CA. Passed it first time. I didn't notice anything weird regarding State specific things.  Here's my advice...

Buy the green and yellow Lindeburg book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Once it arrives, you will do this: 

1. Go to NCEES and fork out the dough for the exam. Schedule it 90 days out! and spring the extra 50 bucks for the practice test. Once it's paid for, you've got no choice but to study for it.

2. Follow the Lindeburg book to the tee. Don't miss a godamn thing! Follow the longest schedule option (I think it was the 82 day option?). You wan't extra days for fudge factor and some down-time and you don't want to rush into a $300 test.

3. Pick a LEGAL calculator, and use it every day, find all the stat's functions and memorize how to use them. Make the calculator an extension of your own hand.

4. Take the test and you'll pass it guaranteed, just like the book says!

5. Do certified mail with signature confirmation!!!!!  I think the total cost of this endeavor is close to $500 when you consider everything you have to buy and pay for. Even after you pass you gotta go get fingerprinted and some other bullshit that costs money, and turn in papers to the board with ANOTHER application fee.  The CA board takes forever and you start sweating if you just put stamps on it and drop it off on the street.  I stressed out for  a few months because you know how Oakland mailboxes get pissed on or plowed into with stolen cars, or set on fire by protesters. Don't do like I did. You already paid out the ass, so what's an extra 15 bucks to have it certified and insured?

Honestly none of the material is that hard. The biggest thing is knowing the reference material and how to quickly find your answers. Also being familiar with how the test is given really helps. That's why you need to buy the practice exam from NCEES too. There aren't any serious math problems. It's all multiple choice and you just need to know where the formula is in the reference manual. I'd say I put an average about an hours worth of effort a day for about 60 of those planned 82 days.  I did NOT follow the schedule to a tee like I wanted to, and i did run out of time a little bit towards the end because I slacked some. I skimmed the last few chapters and figured I had a pretty good handle on the reference manual by then. Many of the questions sum up to having some common sense. Knowing what a ridiculous answer looks like can eliminate the wrong choices pretty quick. As long as you've read the Lindeburg book, you'll see everything on the test and recognize it instantly. 

Good luck!

Back