North Carolina Qualifying Experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this past spring I took the PE exam in North Carolina because NY rejected my application and I was already too far into studying to give up.  Anyway, I ended up passing my exam (yay!) but now I need to apply to NC.  I can't find what NC considers as engineering experience.  I started my career working for a contractor, but now work for a structural design firm.  Is NC not going to count my construction experience?  Does anyone know what I should do here?

The form (http://www.ncbels.org/forms/ncengapp.pdf) that they have on their website has two columns for work experience, time in design and time doing other work.  But you can now apply using the NCEES website.  Just curious if anyone has any advice.

Thanks!

Where do you plan in doing your engineering work?  If you try to get NY License through comity,  they may or may not accept you taking the exam before being declared eligible.  

Moving.  Even though you passed , you are not yet a PE.  I consider application questions to be 'Anything about the PE exam'.  

I was granted a NC PE license and I worked for 1.5 years under a roofing contractor and no PE's on staff. It was considered general construction experience which relates directly to engineering experience. I believe only two years needs to be under supervision of a PE and even then the board grants exceptions e.g. military applicants, working in an exempt field where supervisors don't have PE license, etc. Submit your experience and see what they say. 

To close this out, I applied in NC with my 2 years of contractor experience and 1.5 years of design plus grad school.  My application was accepted and I am a PE in NC.  So I guess NC values contracting experience.  Thank you all for the help.

Back