October 2017 PE Prep.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC_engineer2017

Reaction score
I recently started preparing for my PE (second attempt) for 10/2017. I did really bad in structures and geotech in the morning session. All i have is school of PE notes, Any suggestions on how to improve my structural and geotech problem solving abilities? I need to improve my score by atleast 3 points in each. Any books or material you suggest for lot of good problems? please let me know.

I just bought EET depth course for depth transportation. So I am well covered for afternoon session. Also is 4 months a good time for re-preparation? 

Only you can determine how much time you need for re-preparation.  It will depend on how much time you can commit and how much you need to relearn. If you just need more practice problems so that you can complete the test faster it would be different than if you need to relearn alot of the concepts that are tested.

well geotech and structures, i need to learn couple of concepts better along with some materials questions. But i am slow at learning and have time restrictions. I can 2 hrs or so every day and 4 hrs each on saturday/sunday. Hope that is decent amount of  time..

Why don't you just go ahead and get the EET AM prep as well and then you will be equally well covered for the morning too?  

Yes ptatohed, i am leaning towards the EET breadth class also but I want to be sure that i don't run out of preparation time while trying to watch on-demand videos from EET. May be I can ask on this site for EET notes for the morning session and I can pay them for a copy. 

Yes ptatohed, i am leaning towards the EET breadth class also but I want to be sure that i don't run out of preparation time while trying to watch on-demand videos from EET. May be I can ask on this site for EET notes for the morning session and I can pay them for a copy. 
No you can not ask for copyrighted material.  You will need to buy it from EET if you want it.  

If you don't have it already, get the NCEES practice exam.  I thought that provided a good set of problems to prepare for the actual exam.

I already bought the NCEES practice exam and worked the problems last time for April 2017. Does the practice exam change for every exam or would it be the same questions?

I believe they keep them the same for at least a few test cycles. The test specs haven't changed so it should still be relevant. If you have the CERM I would suggest reading the geotech and structures sections from start to finish and working the example problems as you go. If you get lost just on one just flip back and see what your missing. This helped me with concepts. If you read a section that helps something click then tab, highlight, or whatever to mark it. I did the same thing with my EET binders. Mostly, work as many problems as possible. 

Back