CERM Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMStruc

Reaction score
Quick question for those who have taken the PE Civil/Structural. I have access to the CERM 14th Edition from a recent test taker but saw a 15th edition is available. Is it worth spending the money to do so? I don't mind but figured I'd reach out to those who know the test and the book better than myself. I took the SE Vert and passed but can't seem to pass the lateral portion (taken twice). Figured I would take a break from the SE and try the PE as I will need a license within a year. Thanks

I just took and passed the Civil/Structural in April using the 14th edition. I completely feel there is no reason to buy a new edition at 2-3 times the cost. All of the principles haven't changed a bit and any code reference questions you'll be using the actual code for not the CERM. I used the CERM solely for 95% of the AM questions and maybe 40% of the afternoon session. I picked up the 14th edition for $135 on amazon vs $285 for the 15th from PPI new.

I just took and passed the Civil/Structural in April using the 14th edition. I completely feel there is no reason to buy a new edition at 2-3 times the cost. All of the principles haven't changed a bit and any code reference questions you'll be using the actual code for not the CERM. I used the CERM solely for 95% of the AM questions and maybe 40% of the afternoon session. I picked up the 14th edition for $135 on amazon vs $285 for the 15th from PPI new.
Thanks so much for the reply. I had another person in my office say the same thing so I will just borrow the 14 edition and go from there. Any study tips? I've studied probably 500 hours for the SE Vert and Lat tests so I think the main focus for me will be the morning. 

I passed it with the 14th edition. Don't pay the extra money.

Thanks so much for the reply. I had another person in my office say the same thing so I will just borrow the 14 edition and go from there. Any study tips? I've studied probably 500 hours for the SE Vert and Lat tests so I think the main focus for me will be the morning. 
The masonry section in the 14th edition is the only portion I can think of worth updating. I'm pretty sure its been posted somewhere, and if you have the TMS standard for the afternoon then you really don't need to rely on that section of the CERM. Just wanted to mention int. 

I used the 14th Ed and wasn't a problem. Could probably get by with older versions too. 

Back