What state to get SE license?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IngCarlos

Reaction score
All - I passed both portions of the exam in Texas, and as most of you know, there is no SE license in this state. What state has a very quick application timeline to submit an application so that I can obtain the 1st SE license? I have heard Nebraska and Nevada, but I want to see what other people know.

I went with IL as while it can definitely take a while to get approved it's a cheap SE license to maintain. However, if getting "SE" behind your name quickly was more important then I agree that one of the Western states starting with N is probably best.

I went with IL as while it can definitely take a while to get approved it's a cheap SE license to maintain. However, if getting "SE" behind your name quickly was more important then I agree that one of the Western states starting with N is probably best.
Thank you, I would like to apply to IL but I have heard a lot of stories about how complicated and lengthy the process is, I know I will have issues since my bachelor's degree is from a foreigner institution though I have a MSc and PhD from a school here in the US.

Thank you, I would like to apply to IL but I have heard a lot of stories about how complicated and lengthy the process is, I know I will have issues since my bachelor's degree is from a foreigner institution though I have a MSc and PhD from a school here in the US.
Well, that might cause some delays for any state you apply to. The biggest issue most have with IL (beyond IL's lengthy time to respond to anything) is their structural experience requirements. If you took a number of structural courses in getting your MSc and PhD then you should be fine.

So, I'd take a look at IL as well as the others and see what you feel you can get the easiest. I'd also email the various state boards you're looking at with questions about your background and how it affects licensure before making a final decision. While IL took a while to get back to me they at least were reasonably helpful with my questions.

For reference, I had to resubmit my application twice to IL and was dealing with the NCEES records fiasco when I applied. It took me about 2.5 months start to finish to get licensed in IL. Most of that delay was waiting for NCEES to get the records straightened out. Only about 1 month was IL farting around with my application.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at this now as well, as apparently I can't just have NCEES review my record to add MLSE, I have to send it to a state first.  I offered to just pay them the same transmittal fee to just look at my record, but they were not super helpful.  Looking at Nebraska now.  

TehMighty, did you have to do an interview with IL?  One of my coworkers applied and actually had to do an in person just because he didn't sit for the exam in Chicago.  It was 10 years ago so hopefully would have changed, but still...

I'm looking at this now as well, as apparently I can't just have NCEES review my record to add MLSE, I have to send it to a state first.  I offered to just pay them the same transmittal fee to just look at my record, but they were not super helpful.  Looking at Nebraska now.  

TehMighty, did you have to do an interview with IL?  One of my coworkers applied and actually had to do an in person just because he didn't sit for the exam in Chicago.  It was 10 years ago so hopefully would have changed, but still...
I am looking at Nebraska as well, did you finalize your NCEES record? It seems like it is a requirement to apply in that state.

I am looking at Nebraska as well, did you finalize your NCEES record? It seems like it is a requirement to apply in that state.
I have had an NCEES record as a PE for a few years, so just need to update a reference then yes, should be good.

After the records update debacle I would 100% agree with the sentiment that NCEES is not "super helpful". My advice is avoid paying NCEES money wherever possible.

I did not have to interview with IL. They had no issue with me taking my SE exam in Maine. Their only beef was my documented experience. I didn't meet the education requirements so went in under the 8 years experience alternative. However, my last 2 years have been under my own stamp and they seemed to not understand that this was something an engineer can do with just a PE license. However, after frigging with their forms getting all the dots on the "i"s and all the crosses on the "t"s, and sending a strongly worded letter stating that I had 8+ years of engineering experience and to show me where in their rules it said that I needed more than the typical 4 years working under a licensed PE, I got a SE license a week or so later.

I have had an NCEES record as a PE for a few years, so just need to update a reference then yes, should be good.
Just an FYI, if you haven't updated your NCEES record after they updated their system then you're in for about 20 headaches.

For further details read this:

I'm still just confused as to why I have to send it to a state in order for them to look at my record.  I have transmitted it twice in the last year so everything is up to date except passing my SE, all they need to do is look at it to add a designation for which I was even willing to pay them.

Anyway, guess I will just get another license.  Maybe my firm will find some work in Nebraska.

I haven't researched it much since I still need to pass the lateral but why not California? I know they want you to be a PE for 3 or 4 years and obviously a PE there but any reason (or experience) why not CA besides the mentioned?

More expensive, you need the CA PE first, and I believe you still have to take the CA specific seismic exam. It may also be that you need references from other CA SEs but I'm not sure on this one. In short, I quickly concluded that you should only get a CA SE if you actually need one. Being on the East coast this is definitely not a license I'll need in the near future.

I don't know how much this swings the balance back in CA's favor, but I had two of my references submitted from NV SEs. Generally I think CA is OK with references from any SE state with similar requirements.

i am not understanding the point of this post

Why would one get the SE license from another state? Since OP mentioning random states, i'm assuming he does not live there.

i am not understanding the point of this post

Why would one get the SE license from another state? Since OP mentioning random states, i'm assuming he does not live there.
Most engineers consider it inappropriate to put "SE" at the end of your name unless you're licensed in some state that required the 16-hour SE exam for "something". Either a title restriction or separate SE license. I personally think that a state that gives a roster designation of "structural" and having passed the 16-hour SE is sufficient to use the post-nominal letters SE, but it's really not that expensive to get a license in a random state like IL or CA that licenses SE separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most engineers consider it in appropriate to put "SE" at the end of your name unless you're licensed in some state that required the 16-hour SE exam for "something". Either a title restriction or separate SE license. I personally think that a state that gives a roster designation of "structural" and having passed the 16-hour SE is sufficient to use the post-nominal letters SE, but it's really not that expensive to get a license in a random state like IL or CA that licenses SE separately.
oh ok

my board says you can put whatever title you deem is appropriate. so SE next to one's name works without taking the test.

i suppose once you have the actual SE license elsewhere you could offer services anyways

oh ok

my board says you can put whatever title you deem is appropriate. so SE next to one's name works without taking the test.

i suppose once you have the actual SE license elsewhere you could offer services anyways
I would definitely not go that far.  Putting an SE next to one's name without taking the test could easily be construed as misrepresenting your qualifications as having passed and could open you to board action.  Once you have passed the test that may be ok, but I'm waiting until I at least have a license in a roster state or MLSE designation from NCEES before I put SE on anything.

I would definitely not go that far.  Putting an SE next to one's name without taking the test could easily be construed as misrepresenting your qualifications as having passed and could open you to board action.  Once you have passed the test that may be ok, but I'm waiting until I at least have a license in a roster state or MLSE designation from NCEES before I put SE on anything.
Not to be rude, but i'm going to trust the chief prosecuting attorney at the Board of engineers over a random person online regarding this.

it wouldn't be misrepresenting yourself if your career and job title revolves around structural engineering

Not to be rude, but i'm going to trust the chief prosecuting attorney at the Board of engineers over a random person online regarding this.

it wouldn't be misrepresenting yourself if your career and job title revolves around structural engineering
While I know what you mean sayed keep in mind that your state board attorney is likely only considering your state and perhaps the surrounding states. However, other states may not consider this kosher. For example, if you hand out a business card that makes it's way to a business based in IL then they could come back to you saying you misrepresented your licenses and offered to practice structural engineering without a license in IL. Extreme and unreasonable I know, and I doubt this will happen, but I use it to point out that your boards attorney is only looking out for the states interest and not your own.

It also doesn't protect against someone trying to sue you if they hired you and then tried to say you misled them or something. But, of course, anyone can sue for anything. Overall I agree with OHBridgeGuy; I wouldn't put SE on my name until I at least had passed the SE or was grandfathered in to having an SE.

While I know what you mean sayed keep in mind that your state board attorney is likely only considering your state and perhaps the surrounding states.
yes, he only address this particular state. i'm positive he doesn't know or care about how other states handles this.

However, other states may not consider this kosher. For example, if you hand out a business card that makes it's way to a business based in IL then they could come back to you saying you misrepresented your licenses and offered to practice structural engineering without a license in IL.
that is highly illogical. if my card is from new york and ends up in new jersey, they could say the same thing about the PE. i'm not licensed in NJ regardless. Why would any of this matter if i am only offering services in the state in which i am licensed?

What would the NJ board do? put a strike against my non existent license?

It also doesn't protect against someone trying to sue you if they hired you and then tried to say you misled them or something. 
going back to my earlier comment, "it wouldn't be misrepresenting yourself if your career and job title revolves around structural engineering"

i think people who took the SE test is making too much of a deal regrading the designation beside their name.

Back