Patent

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramnares P.E.

Reaction score
I've been thinking about looking into projects/designs for a patent.  Just wanted feedback on if it's worth the effort.  Does having a patent in your industry lend a lot of credibility?  Is it worth the cost/time? 

Ram, I'm a little confused by the question.  Are you looking to have an idea patented?  Mrs p-e writes patents.  I could ask.

That's correct P-E.  I'm fairly familiar with the process, one of my co-workers worked in the patent office.  I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort.  How is having a patent viewed on your resume? Does it lend some credibility to the holder etc?

Totally depends on industry.  My coworker has about a dozen hanging on his wall, and those are just the ones he could fit in the office.  In our current line of work, has no bearing on anything whatsoever.

Very industry-dependent. Since I work in manufacturing and specifically product development engineering, I think having patents in my portfolio definitely adds credibility and provides for higher profile projects.

I'm a patent agent.   I am a named inventor on like 11 issued patents and the sole inventor on one more.  It can look good on a resume, but I don't think it's worth the cost just for that reason.  Not even remotely.  Considering, especially that from idea to issued patent you're looking at about $25k, the real value is either selling the patent rights or preventing a competitor from competing in your space.

That's a good point on the cost. If incurring on your own, it may not be worth it. Since my company absorbed the costs, it was worth it.

That's correct P-E.  I'm fairly familiar with the process, one of my co-workers worked in the patent office.  I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort.  How is having a patent viewed on your resume? Does it lend some credibility to the holder etc?
Well, it couldn't hurt.   I'm in the power industry and I don't think it is worth the effort for me.  I had a professor who came up with his own power cycle (wicks cycle) - cool and all.   Maybe in academia it is worth more.  

Back