Engineering Experience can not be verified

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bai

Reaction score
I'm currently have totally 3 years after M.S. graduate work experience, and 2 year can be verified by P.E. from my current company. There is one year experience can't be verified by P.E. (there is no PE in my previous employer), but I'm sure that year is closely related to engineering principle (engineering experience). What should I do about that 1 year experience? I just passed the PE in state of Illinois, but looks like they requires 3 year + MS 1 year experience all verified from PEs. Thank you!

Was there anyone who reviewed your work who was a P.E. while you were at your prior firm? It may also be worth looking into seeing whether people like plan checkers are allowed to be used as verification for your work. You would need to check with the Illinois board about that, I think.

Was there anyone who reviewed your work who was a P.E. while you were at your prior firm? It may also be worth looking into seeing whether people like plan checkers are allowed to be used as verification for your work. You would need to check with the Illinois board about that, I think.
Chances are that if he didn't have a PE at his previous employer, there was no work submitted to agencies to be plan checked (which would require a stamp).

If you were a sub for a project you might be able to contact the general and hope you can find some sort of PE down that rabbit hole. Otherwise, I would just submit the experience and explain it away.

they are sticklers about it.  The first review is a check the box sort of employee...no PE to confirm it, it will likely not pass muster and letter sent back saying you are lacking the required experience

You can always try and argue your case.  Apply, submit your information and a description of what you did and why it is applicable.  It's likely they'll deny it, but it's worth a shot.  I'd definitely make them tell you it doesn't apply.  

Back