Asking for a raise after passing the PE Exam.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcgrey117

Reaction score
I am curious to who all will be asking for a raise after finding out that that passed the PE Exam.  Do you plan to ask for a raise immediately this week, or wait a few months.  In addition, I would be curious to hear from people who received a raise.  What percentage of raise did you get?

one my last review folks told me there will be $1 raise once I get my PE license (not just passing Exam). I am desperately looking to find a employer what is not cheap ass.

I'm in the boat of being an early test taker, so I am not sure about how to approach passing the test but not being able to get the license until the end of this year.

My firm offered a pay raise of about 5% upon receiving my passing score, however, the raise won't go into effect until next month when I will presumably receive my license number (Florida is slow to assign numbers).  

For the early test takers that aren't legally allowed to sign and seal plans yet, I'd recommend waiting until you can actually perform PE job duties before asking for a raise. 

I was told by my direct boss that he couldn't give me a raise because I was already topped out for my position.  Trust me I am not on top of the pay scale for an engineering position.  My brother is in the same field an makes nearly 15k more than I do for similar job.  My boss told me perhaps I could discuss it with the VP of Engineering to see if there was something that he could do to give me a higher salary.  I would be required to stamp calculations a few times a year so it isn't like I would never be using my license.  It is unfortunate that some companies do not acknowledge this achievement directly and almost force you to change companies just to get the compensation that you earned.

I will be asking for one in the next week of so. I have also passed two other certification exams in December 2016 that I have waited on so I ask for one instead of 3 in a year. My boss already knows this because he and I discussed it when I signed up for the exam. It started out as a "what happens if I do this, it should be a move to another level correct?" And yes it was, so it is not a shock to the department. In fact, he even stopped by my office last friday and said he is expected to talk to me about it soon. Now I am worried what I should ask for as a raise (merit, not performance), 5K? 8K? 10K? More? I have no idea. I am an electrical engineer by degree and PE (woohoo!) and energy engineer by job function, not many energy engineers in the state of oklahoma to compare salaries against, and significantly less with a PE and AEE certifications ....

I was just promoted into a higher paying position (about $6k/year with 3% kickers on set dates) but was not hinged on the passing the PE, but it was 'suggested' that if I did not pass, I should keep trying until I pass.

I work for the Federal Gov't and we don't stamp our drawings so having the PE is just indication of having the knowledge and seniority in the ranks. PE is required if you transition into a supervisory position, which I would be on track for in about 6-8 years. I've only been working for about 5 years but have about 5 years military prior to college with some leadership time, so I am a little ahead of my coworkers that have been out of college the same amount of time as me.

My boss is getting back from vacation today and we will be discussing my raise this morning. I am hoping to finally break the 6 figures. Crosses fingers.

My boss is getting back from vacation today and we will be discussing my raise this morning. I am hoping to finally break the 6 figures. Crosses fingers.
Wow! I did not break six figures with my raise!

I did get a promotion (I get to call myself an engineer now! Yay!) and about a little more than a 3% raise. To be honest, I think I was expecting at least a 5% raise, but I'm happy enough with what I got thus and didn't argue. I figure I'll be getting a raise at the end of the year anyway, so I don't want to push it now. Though really, now that they can bill me at a much higher rate, it's a tad annoying. But I love the company I work for, so it really isn't worth my complaining!

It's worth noting that I work in CA, and got the promotion and raise not just after I passed the PE exam, but passed all the exams needed to become a licensed civil PE.

Last edited by a moderator:
What industries do you guys work in that you are nowhere near 6 figures?

I surpassed 6 figures only 4 years after getting my degree if you include bonuses and made it past 6 figures in base salary alone 6 years after getting it.

I've heard of different companies handling it different ways regarding when and how much. Personally, I think that getting your PE license definitely warrants some type of raise and encourage people to have a discussion with their manager about it. Obviously, if you will actually be stamping work in your role then you have a stronger justification to bargain with. If they want you to stamp after getting licensed but are not willing to give you a raise, then that should be a red flag that the company's (or manager's) value system is out of whack.

Some companies will give you a raise immediately while some will wait until mid-year or year-end (depending on how they usually adjust compensation). Same with the amount, sometimes a set dollar increase and sometimes a percentage raise.

Mine was adjusted at year-end following getting licensed and was about 5% on top of my normal expected raise.

Feel free to add to the survey from the last test round I created, we had 102 folks already surveyed at the time of this post:

It is anonymous and if we keep adding every test round it would be a great repository for folks in coming years to see what they might be able to expect!

What industries do you guys work in that you are nowhere near 6 figures?

I surpassed 6 figures only 4 years after getting my degree if you include bonuses and made it past 6 figures in base salary alone 6 years after getting it.
I kind of feel like you're knowingly bragging right here. I think it's widely known and accepted that most engineers regardless of field/industry do not get near 6 figures in their first 6 years of working. So I don't believe you find it shocking that everyone else here isn't in your same position. 

Back