Failed Power, 1st attempt, NC

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen2awesome

Reaction score
As the title states, I failed the Power exam on my 1st attempt. I hope I can get some additional help and tips for next go around. Attached is my Diagnostics. Below were my study materials:

• Graffeo
  • Camera
  • NCEES Practice
  • Complex Imaginary (electronic version) 1-3
  • Spin-up
  • NESC
  • NEC 2014
  • Wildi
  • Stevenson Power Systems
  • Ugly's handbook

Thank you Stephen for your diagnostics.  Let's assume the passing score is 56/80 (70%), then you are only off the cut by 13.

My analysis of your diagnostics is based on this one overall concept, the areas that you received low marks might indicate that you need more work on the fundamentals, concepts and skills.  The areas where you were slightly below average indicates that you need more practice problems.  

I think the biggest impact that you can make on your studying would be in the Circuits area (Circuit analysis and Devices & Power Electronic Circuits).  This accounts for 12 missed problems.  The best sources that explain Devices & Power Electronic Circuits that I have come across are Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems by Wildi (which you already have) and Electric Machinery Fundamentals by Chapman.  The Chapman book gives a very good introduction to Power Electronics (rectifers, VFDs, RMS, thyristors, diodes, etc).  

Codes and Standards:  Did you try the CI Code Problems?  There are a lot of problems that basically take you through the entire NEC.

Rotating Machines:  If you can understand the equivalent circuits for motors and generators, then you should be in a good spot.  If you need more problems, then Wildi and Chapman are a good place to start.  

Special Applications:  This one is tough, there are so many topics and it is difficult to understand all of them.  I can send you some information on this topic in a PM.  

Protection:  Another tough one.  I have associates that work for the utility company and that is all they focus on...just Protection.  This area also used Symmetrical Components, Per Unit and CTs, VTs.  IEEE Recommended Practice for Protection and Coordination or Industrial and Commercial Power Systems helped me gain more understanding in this field.  It is just a very long and difficult read.  Other people prefer the Art and Science of Protective Relaying by GE.  

Capture.JPG

Thank you Stephen for your diagnostics.  Let's assume the passing score is 56/80 (70%), then you are only off the cut by 13.

My analysis of your diagnostics is based on this one overall concept, the areas that you received low marks might indicate that you need more work on the fundamentals, concepts and skills.  The areas where you were slightly below average indicates that you need more practice problems.  

I think the biggest impact that you can make on your studying would be in the Circuits area (Circuit analysis and Devices & Power Electronic Circuits).  This accounts for 12 missed problems.  The best sources that explain Devices & Power Electronic Circuits that I have come across are Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems by Wildi (which you already have) and Electric Machinery Fundamentals by Chapman.  The Chapman book gives a very good introduction to Power Electronics (rectifers, VFDs, RMS, thyristors, diodes, etc).  

Codes and Standards:  Did you try the CI Code Problems?  There are a lot of problems that basically take you through the entire NEC.

Rotating Machines:  If you can understand the equivalent circuits for motors and generators, then you should be in a good spot.  If you need more problems, then Wildi and Chapman are a good place to start.  

Special Applications:  This one is tough, there are so many topics and it is difficult to understand all of them.  I can send you some information on this topic in a PM.  

Protection:  Another tough one.  I have associates that work for the utility company and that is all they focus on...just Protection.  This area also used Symmetrical Components, Per Unit and CTs, VTs.  IEEE Recommended Practice for Protection and Coordination or Industrial and Commercial Power Systems helped me gain more understanding in this field.  It is just a very long and difficult read.  Other people prefer the Art and Science of Protective Relaying by GE.  

View attachment 9696
Thanks Justin. I did do the NEC problems that were in the volumes that I had and didn't have any trouble. If you're referring to the C.I. NEC Drill book, I do not have that but I will definitely get it.  I thought that since I do consulting I would be in better shape with the NEC, I was wrong.

I'll do some practice problems for Rotating Machines to gain a more understanding of motors and generators. I'll look into Chapman as well. I have a power electronics book from college that I found after I took the exam.

For Protection, are both resources books or PDFs?

Yes, some more info into the Special applications would be excellent.

9fnpt3.jpg

Here it is guys.

You've already received excellent advice on how to use your diagnostic sheet. I really can't add anything to that. I recommend reviewing the test taking strategy in Spinup's introduction. Gives good tactical advice on approaching test problems. I also strongly encourage you to get the CI NEC Drill book. Even if you only work a third of the problems you'll be well prepared for the test. Once again, use the tactics in the drill book's intro. Also, among many other topics, the internet has invaluable info on such subjects as PLC's and VFD's. Finally spend 2-3 weeks making a thorough note sheet and organizing your reference material. Cross reference material with sample test problems. One final important point. Sign up for a review class. I recommend GA Tech but I've heard a lot of good things about School of PE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back