PE Electrical Power suggestions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tn053017

Reaction score
Hello! I was a first time test taker for the PE Electrical Power exam and did not pass :(  for those who have passed, what strategies would you suggest for my next time taking the exam? Which prep courses did y'all take?

I tried self studying supplemented by a new start up review site, but I feel like I didn't focus on the right information needed to pass the exam. Ready to spend the big bucks for an actual course.

Thanks in advance.

Stuff I brought with me - 

NEC handbook, NESC, some printed excerpts from Chapmans machinery book, NCEES sample test, distribution transformer connection diagrams, Graffeo book, printouts from the FE review manual (math and the electrical stuff), and my custom study binder.  

Everything I listed, I used extensively especially the Graffeo book.  I did not bring anything to do with engineering economics and I wish I had because that was on there.  

I did not take a test prep course and I have done 4 years of building design engineering and 10+ years as a commercial electrician (journeyman).  

What Owism said.  There's a mountain of info on that forum.  That said, I self-studied cause I didn't see the need to spend money on a course that couldn't prepare me in the manner I could prepare myself (i.e. presentation, types of problems, methods for solving, etc.).  

As for me, the resources I used to prep for the exam, and subsequently used for the exam, are:

NCEES practice exam

NEC

NESC

Graffeo

P. C. Sen Electric Machinery book (a hard book to follow and a bit of overkill for the level you're being tested on, due to it being heavily academic based, but does have some decent info)

Chapman (power systems and machinery - this one is a must have IMHO.  I used this and Graffeo almost exclusively, outside of the codes) 

Power electronics text from college

GA Tech binder I borrowed from a friend that took the course

You have to know yourself more than anything.  You can have all the materials/courses at your disposal and still fail.  You know yourself better than anyone else, so if you learn better in a classroom, take a course.  If you're more motivated by self-study, then take that route.  Most of all, know your references.  I'm certain a large portion of those who fail on any given cycle do so due to inadequate familiarity with their references.  And remember to breathe!!  We have all sat in that testing center and know the feeling all too well!  

Good luck!

Back