To Those Who've Failed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal91

Reaction score
Thank you for being good sports and all of your positivity to those who have passed. I hope all of the celebration of passes does not get you down but rather motivates you that you can pass next time too! 

I'm pretty sure we are seeing a disproportionate amount of pass to fail ratio... people who pass are more inclined to post results, but people who fail probably don't feel like posting. So don't feel like you're the 1 out of 10 people who didn't pass from all these posts.  I just ran the numbers from the April 2016 results, only 8320 out of 14,255 people passed across all the exams which is just 58%. And how well you take an exam does not reflect how good of an engineer or a person you are. The purpose of the exam is to collect $ more than anything. 

Keep up the hard work and you'll get it next time!

Keep that head up!! I failed last year and crushed it this year, the fail made the success all the more enjoyable. If it wasn't hard, it wouldn't be worth anything. Get to it soldiers!
Thanks for the motivation! I hope that's me. I'm going to do everything in my power to own this exam in October. Knowing other people have felt the same pain and come out on the other side is comforting and motivating. I've never been a good standardized test taker, I've always had to put more effort in than others, but by god, I'm going to pass this thing. 6 months ain't no thang in the big scheme of things.

Today I found out that I failed the ME Machine Design & Materials test for the 2nd time. After the 1st time (Oct.'16), I decided to make lots of changes in the hope that it would lead to a different result this past April, but apparently the countless hours of studying, problem solving, even having a study-buddy wasn't enough. I scored 46/80 and I cannot tell you how disappointed I feel. Not sure if I want to give it another try in Oct. or wait until next April, part of my problem is that I graduated 20 years ago and had to re-learn a lot of this stuff since I don't deal with it in my daily job. After 9 months of hard work though, it's probably best to take a little break. 

Any advice or thoughts you can share would be appreciated. Thanks for the support!

It's just a test. It doesn't determine how well you perform as an engineer. I've heard stories of awesome engineers that needed to take the test 10 or 12 times before passing. If you failed, don't quit! Getting to the point of sitting for the exam is an accomplishment in-and-of itself. Take a break, recuperate, and come back as determined as ever. You can do it!!!

I just took the test for my third time this April and finally passed. Keep working at it. I am confident that I could take it 3 more times and fail every time. Part of its luck and another part is testing well.

The first time I took the test I got a 68.5 percent so i went home and hit the books, took a prep class, and came back much more prepared and well... I tanked the second test. I mean my score was pathetic. The third time I passed, but who knows by how much. My take aways are:

1st Test: The bulk of my studies were focused on the morning session. I did well on the morning, but tanked the am.

2nd test: The bulk of my studies were focused on the afternoon session. I tanked the morning test, and got one more right on the afternoon exam than the first time i took it.

3rd test: I spent about 60 percent of my time on the morning test and about 40 percent on the afternoon. I walked out feeling like i scored at least a 90 on the morning and did about the same as before on the afternoon. 

My overall advice is do as well as you possibly can on the morning exam. Its general for all disciplines so that's the place to get the easy points. The afternoon is, from my experience, always going to be considerable harder so you just need to do well enough to survive. Good luck. 

It's just a test. It doesn't determine how well you perform as an engineer. I've heard stories of awesome engineers that needed to take the test 10 or 12 times before passing. If you failed, don't quit! Getting to the point of sitting for the exam is an accomplishment in-and-of itself. Take a break, recuperate, and come back as determined as ever. You can do it!!!
Well said. I've talked to some pretty awesome engineers and they have told me the same thing. 

Back