SMS THFL Depth Prb 5

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nirvick

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help me to explain this solution? I really don't know how to get that efficiency from the graph. Even the new MERM does not have that formula and graph so far I know.Is there any other way to solve this problem? Any other reference I can follow?  How important is to follow this type of problem for ThFl PE exam. I attached both questions, solution also the MERM graph (in next post)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I remember this being a simple question.  I will answer when I'm home and have access to the MERM.

Here are the fin eff. equations included in my Heat Transfer text.  This is from Mills, 1992

The particular equation and graph used in your solution are from MERM 13, 34-17 and 34-18. You can check the equations from my reference against the MERM graph, if you wish.  Generally speaking (just out here in real world land), if there is no fouling the fin eff, is going to be .5 or greater, but there is almost always fouling.  :D

Back