PE Board Third Party Solicitation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rathrift

Reaction score
I recently got an email solicitation, stating that my contact information had been given to them by the DPOR (Virginia PE Board). I don't wish to have my name, email address and/or mailing address sold to a third party for the purposes of a solicitation. I understand that someone should be able to look up my license # and status, given they have first provided my name. I emailed the board and they told me that they are legally able to distribute a LIST of licensees with their contact information under the FOIA. Certainly this can't be right. I already receive cold calls from recruiters on a daily basis, who never reveal how they came across my contact information. Anyone can just request a list and they will be provided with names and current contact information for anyone that has a license? If I contact the DMV and ask them for a list of everyone with a driver's license and their phone number, is that also covered under FOIA? Having a license does not make you a government employee. Anyone else had issues with your contact information being sold or know if this really is a legal activity for them to be conducting?  

What I do is give them the wrong phone # once I have my license in that state.

It does suck but anyone with any type of license has to go through the same ordeal (from the gals at GreatClips, to us all important Engineers)

The CA license lookup actually lists your mailing address, which I find super creepy. I use my work address and phone. Not even the one I'm physically at, but our HQ and receptionist's desk. 

Back