Deadliest Catch

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIP - VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal
Reaction score
I know a number of people have mentioned they watch this show. Anyone catch the new season last night?

Man did they get off to a slow start. They spent more time in the bar and grocery store than on the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only caught part of it.

One of the boats sank? wholly crap! I was thinking what a cool summer job that would be for a college kid, now I'd rather he stay at the supermarket.

I liked the fishing science aspect to last night's show. I need to figure out how to catch these strange critters out here now.

The boat that sunk was the Ocean Challenger, which was fishing for cod. It wasn't one of the boats profiled on the show. The thing I like about this show is that it's not a bunch of hyped up daredevils or attention whores. It's a bunch of guys trying to make a living in a risky profession.

The Associated Press
Published: October 20, 2006

Last Modified: October 20, 2006 at 03:09 PM

The parents of a man who survived a capsizing in the North Pacific said their son had been released from a hospital.

Kevin Ferrell, 28, was the only survivor among four crewmen who entered the water Wednesday when the 49-foot, 50-ton Ocean Challenger capsized about 60 miles south of Sand Point, a community off the tip of the Alaska Peninsula.

The bodies of skipper David "Cowboy" Hasselquist, 51, of Hoonah and crewman Walter Foster, 26, of Westport, Wash., were pulled from the water by the Coast Guard.

A search for the missing man, Steve Esparza, 26, of Kodiak, was called off Thursday. He had not been wearing a survival suit, the Coast Guard said.

Ferrell was able to call his mother in Lynchburg, Va., a few hours after his rescue. A Coast Guard rescue swimmer helped hoist him from the water into a helicopter.

"We've talked a couple of times," his mother, Pam Caldwell, told the Lynchburg, Va., News and Advance on Thursday.

Ferrell was the only crewman wearing a survival suit.

"Kevin seems very concerned about the victims' families," his mother said. "He's spending a lot of his time visiting them right now. He's trying to get himself healthy. He's on antibiotics as a precautionary measure. He swallowed some ocean, of course. He was out there for some time."

Caldwell said her son never was in serious condition.

"Those reports were all wrong," she said. "We talked to him four hours after the incident. He was in shock, but he's OK. The hospital let him go last night."

Her son was a whitewater canoeist before moving to Alaska about five years ago.

"He has had all kinds of special rescue classes," she said. "He's very skilled in the water. He knows what he's doing."

The Ocean Challenger had been fishing for black cod near the Sanak Islands and was traveling back to Sand Point when it capsized in high seas. It sent out a mayday to a car carrier, which relayed the emergency message to the Coast Guard.

"There was a car carrier vessel in the area that heard the mayday and circled around him about five times," Caldwell said. "They kind of kept an eye on him until the helicopter got there."

Officials called off the search for Esparza after scouring more than 1,730 square miles in the North Pacific for two days, said Petty Officer Sara Francis.

"The chances of finding someone alive in these kinds of water temperatures after 24 hours is extremely low," Francis said. "After 48 hours, that chance drastically reduces."

She said the water temperature had been 48 degrees.

Officials said they did not know what caused the boat, home-ported in Adak, to capsize and sink. Francis said the Coast Guard was investigating and planned to talk to Ferrell on Friday.

^^^ it's always smart to gear up properly. he was the only one wearing a survival suit.

I also noticed they spent a long time in the bar. aren't they supposed to be off catching crabs? I dont want any of the crabs you can catch at a bar!

I know a number of people have mentioned they watch this show. Anyone catch the new season last night?
Man did they get off to a slow start. They spent more time in the bar and grocery store than on the water.

That show is awesome---tivo'd it, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

The work seems like it would be cool to do for a couple hours, but a couple weeks/months/whatever would be far too long and far too much work.

They always look tired and cold. :Locolaugh:

And then there's the whole possible death factor that goes along with the work.... :joke:

I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me go up there for a season to work! I love the ocean, fishing, etc! Rough weather has never bothered me, but I think those 80 foot seas would take some getting used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me go up there for a season to work! I love the ocean, fishing, etc! Rough weather has never bothered me, but I think those 80 foot seas would take some getting used to.

Not a chance you'd get me on one of those boats. I'd have a serious problem with the fact that if you fall or get pulled overboard, there's about a 99.99% chance that you're dead.

I'm sure the captains are professionals, but I wouldn't let most of the dudes working on those crews shine my shoes. If I'm going into that kind of potential life and death environment, I'm not going with anything less than a well trained military crew and ship.

But that's just me. :joke:

I love that show, but I haven't caught the new season yet. I didn't even see all of the last season, either. I generally hate "reality shows" because they are anything BUT real. But this show is the exception.

I missed the new season premier and the season premier of the shield..

dammit

dammit

dammit

well one thing is you know TLC re-runs the hell out of everything

dammit

dammit

dammit

You should get tivo...

Once you set the season pass, it will record the show from season to season (as long as it doesnt change names ie survivor 9, survivor 10...), and it will pick up the show if the network changes its time slot. not to forget the ability to skip commercials, and rewind (excellent for ufc, boxing and sports)

dammit

dammit

dammit

The Shield! I've never been addicted to a show until that one. You missed a good premiere though. I think they rerun the shows on Sunday night. Keep an eye out. Thank goodness I have a DVR now :D

Deadliest Catch is a really good show. I usually stop to watch it while channel surfing.

I am glad to see someone else is as excited as me about the season premire tonight. I have had that f-ing Bon Jovi song in my head for weeks now. I have been singing it around the house and driving my wife crazy. "I'm a cowbow........On a steel horse I ride...............I'm wanted.....................Dead or Alive......."

sweet, i actually have the house to myself and will get to watch it without the usual background noise

I am glad to see someone else is as excited as me about the season premire tonight. I have had that f-ing Bon Jovi song in my head for weeks now. I have been singing it around the house and driving my wife crazy. "I'm a cowbow........On a steel horse I ride...............I'm wanted.....................Dead or Alive......."
I can't remember what country I was in, but they had the British Discovery Channel and it had a different theme song and the narrator wasn't Mike Rowe. As best I could tell, it was the same show otherwise, but it just wasn't the same.

We are a Deadliest Catch fan household. Everything stops when it's on (first run) and people know better than to call the house on Tuesdays at 9 PM for the next few months! We have Seasons 1-3 on DVD; I watch them while I'm on the elliptical trainer.

Sig Hansen is making an appearance at Helly Hansen in Newport, RI in a few weeks (on Mr. Bug's day off). We're seriously considering going to it.

I liked last night's episodes. The truck thing was just unreal! How the heck that prank can be topped is beyond me...

I can't remember what country I was in, but they had the British Discovery Channel and it had a different theme song and the narrator wasn't Mike Rowe. As best I could tell, it was the same show otherwise, but it just wasn't the same.
I caught that in England last year myself. It was similar enough but had a real different feel to it. I'm used to Mike Rowe narrating and Discovery's tendency to overdramatize just a little.

We are a Deadliest Catch fan household. Everything stops when it's on (first run) and people know better than to call the house on Tuesdays at 9 PM for the next few months! We have Seasons 1-3 on DVD; I watch them while I'm on the elliptical trainer.
Same here as far as everything stopping when a new episode is on. We shifted our weekly dinner with some friends to last night instead of the usual Wednesday, so I taped the behind the scenes thing that was on at 8 plus the 2 episodes at 9 and 10.

We'll watch one episode tonight and we are going to save the other one for Sunday. That's my wife's birthday plus we may have our new place in Mass. lined up by then so I am going to score some king crab legs to celebrate and go with it.

Back